Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been getting stuff ready to knock out on the lathe because I fly to Minnesota in a week and a half and have no lathe there (two mini shops with completely different sets of tools unfortunately).

I made wooden faceplates for 7 bowls - turned, drilled, tapped, and glued up ready to go. I have about 30 pens worth of blanks cut, drilled, glued, ends milled, etc. - completely ready to go.

Spent time sharpening every tool today and getting it all ready so that I could just be in wood shaving heaven for a solid week.

I finally pop on a bowl blank and the drive belt broke within minutes.

Bummer. Sears parts take forever. Can't wait to one day replace my Craftsman tools with bigger nicer tools.

Edit: I just ordered two replacement belts. Shipping costs more than they do!

·
Registered
69 Posts
You might find a replacement locally if the lathe takes a V type belt and you have the size of the belt. Try hardware; farm stores; and auto parts stores.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Any kind of belt will work in a pinch, even a small rope will work, as long as it fits fairly well. I would never use flexible wire though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might find a replacement locally if the lathe takes a V type belt and you have the size of the belt. Try hardware; farm stores; and auto parts stores.
I think an auto parts store might have one. I think my drill press has a similar belt come to think of it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Around here Napa tends to carry 'almost' every type of belt i have ever looked for. They didnt have one out of the over 30 types of belts i have looked fo;r for drill presses, lathes, air compressors, etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Around here Napa tends to carry 'almost' every type of belt i have ever looked for. They didnt have one out of the over 30 types of belts i have looked fo;r for drill presses, lathes, air compressors, etc.
Sadly there was a NAPA close to where I am, but it closed a few years ago. I can't think of another one nearby. There are two other auto parts stores nearby though. They rarely have what I'm looking for, but I'll give them a try first. There's also a Pep Boys not terribly far (but not really close either). I'm about to head out and see what I can find.

I wish I knew the brand/model of the belt as I'm fairly certain Sears doesn't actually make it, but rather purchases them for manufacturing and for replacement part sales. I read some threads about similar issues involving metal lathes and it sounded like I should try to find a Goodyear brand belt that fits if I can.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couldn't find it locally, but to my surprise I got a UPS ship notification saying that the replacements I ordered will be here tomorrow. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts