Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my first serious effort at trying a multi-axis turning. It is a candle holder (probably pretty obvious because of the candle) that was inspired by an article written by Mark Sfirri. This turning was turned on two axes. The wood is figured maple which caused other turners in my club to ask why I painted it with Rust-Oleum stone texture spray paint. The answer is that the figure in the maple and the multi-axis spindle just plain looked stinking ugly together. I suppose that both were fighting for attention. I'm not sure that it looks a great deal better, but it actually was an improvement. We have a bring-back drawing at our club so this went into the drawing last month. I left the partly used candle in it with the hope that a free used candle might be enough enticement for somebody to take it. The enticement worked -- and nobody had to ask me, "what is it".

_MG_3029_tiny.jpg

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well I like it. I sat in on one of Barbara Dill's lectures at the TAW symposium. You should read or reread her articles in American Woodturner. She tries to simplify that very difficult subject. Of course Mark is an expert and she learned from him.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, John. It makes me feel a bit better. My wife was glad that somebody else took it. She said that I could keep it in the shop, but she would not let me bring it in the house. My interpretation of that critique is she liked it, but not quite as much as some of my other stuff. :yes:

One thing that I figured out right away is that axis changes have to be done on an outside corner. When doing an inside corner you have to stay on the same axis. I did attend a lecture by Barbara on multi-axis turning at SWAT a couple years ago. I'm afraid that my memory of her progrfam is a bit rusty so I will search out her articles in American Woodturner.

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Looks nice Bill. I like the finish but let me send an internet slap for painting over figured maple:boxing::laughing: Next time you go to do that, let me know. I'll send you a piece of poplar in trade for the figured maple.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks nice Bill. I like the finish but let me send an internet slap for painting over figured maple:boxing::laughing: Next time you go to do that, let me know. I'll send you a piece of poplar in trade for the figured maple.
Mike Hawkins;)
I'll heed your warning shot across the bow. I think that I paid about $20 for that little piece of wood at Rockler's. It was going to be a peppermill, but the blank was a couple inches too short for that. The missus said that she would leave me if I made a candlestick out of that pretty piece of wood, but she's still here. :laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts