Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished a cabinet today for my workbench. Made completely from mdf except the fronts was leftover plywood I had. After I cut the fronts I realized it looks upside down lol. Oh well. Think I'll put my chisels in there, measuring tools, sharpening stones, planes, Sanders and blocks, maybe some fixtures/jigs like my shelf pin hole jig. I want it out of my tool box. And my pocket hole stuff if it will fit.

Any suggestions on hardware? I have a lot of pull knobs I bought on sale, but i'm not sure I like the idea of breaking up the look the plywood has. Plus I don't want them sticking out much farther then it already is so I don't bump my knee on them.

Next up is clamp storage. They're all over the garage right now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Personally a small knob would work or a small 3.5" pull. I would go for the pull over the knob so nothing snags you when working. Lowes shows for a buc each right now item# 361778 looks snag free, check it out.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally a small knob would work or a small 3.5" pull. I would go for the pull over the knob so nothing snags you when working. Lowes shows for a buc each right now item# 361778 looks snag free, check it out.
Those are perfect, but i'm gonna try to find them in black to match the other hardware on the bench.

Thanks!

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Nice. Those drawers are going to be such a welcome addition to your shop.

As for pulls, you could always rout pulls right into the drawer fronts, like this example I found online:

Or finger cutouts, like this example:

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought of routing the pulls in, but since its cheaper plywood I would rather not. I also thought of doing the half circle pulls, but I didn't want to risk it since I don't have a drill press. Good advice though and thank you.

I ordered black arch pulls from Ebay for $18 including shipping. Ordered 12 since my router table drawers need some too. not bad I don't think. I can't wait till ether arrive. I'm putting off filling the drawers until they're installed for more convenience, but i'm getting antsy!

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Oh, OK. I didn't realize the fronts were plywood. Though now I see that you mentioned (twice) it being ply in your initial description, which I did read but I guess it didn't sink in. It almost looks too good to be plywood :smile: It looks like solid walnut (or something: maybe cherry?) from the front.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
I also thought of doing the half circle pulls, but I didn't want to risk it since I don't have a drill press.
Just a note for the future: When I did the semi-circle cutouts on the front doors and the three interior drawers of my roto-tool accessories storage cabinet, I used a circle template to draw the arcs. Then I cut them out with either my band saw or scroll saw - I forget now - then sanded to the lines with a drum sander.

I mention this only to illustrate that you can do them without a drill press, especially if the pieces are already cut to size (as in the case of your drawer fronts... and the parts I just mentioned on my project).

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Steve, I'll keep that in my back pocket for the future. On an after thought. I'm not sure i'm sold on the half circle pulls. If I have something right behind the front it'll get in the way of opening the drawer. It would be mostly for shorter drawers. Plus my top drawer front covers the top of the case, that would be an issue too.

I received my pulls today though and am done with my cabinet. I love how it turned out. The top three pulls are almost perfectly spaced apart. A happy accident since I placed them in the center of the drawer. I didn't plan that.

If jigs and tools were chairs and stools, we'd always have a place to sit.
~Stumpy Nubs

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts

I agree with this. Mine has knobs and extension cords are always caught in them.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Perfect pulls!

No corners to snag on electric cords, air lines, vac hoses or cargo shorts/pants pockets.

Nice work on this project!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Great job on those clean and well installed drawers. They are great additional storage needed for the shop and great choice of handles as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts