Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mr.20C
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shop Rearranging - I Wonder If A 5000lb+ Lathe Will Give Me A Hernia ..?
I think this is the 6th rearrangement.......

Moving the Oliver 20c is not easy to move by yourself......:

Where it was:

I took a 5' 2x6 and leveraged it under the dollies...and pried it up moving it 3-6" then rearranged the wheels to get them in the write direction. Moving things around, changing their placement ....obstacles in the way , not much room .....ahhhh......it is what it is...

Where it is now:

My shop is in disarray and I'm working in squalor ....what fun.......

I am building a new miter table/work bench where the Oliver sat....I disassembled the prior miter/router station a built ....I wasn't happy with it....worked great but I got tired of constantly moving it around.....auxiliary supports ....etc..etc...etc...

Also....

New electrics ...all my 3ph machinery (which is most of it) is on now.....just a simple start and I'm off and running...

I'll finish the finish work on the wall behind the lathe and paint it ...
I need to get the miter table/work bench finished.....as I picked a time of a busy work schedual.........such is me........

I just could not take it anymore......

You guys find yourself wanting to change things in your shop from time to time.

Which leads to what I am up to.....

B,

·
Mr.20C
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My idea,...

Legs are temporary,....
There is a lot more that needs to be done to complete this station,...a lot more but at least I have my miter saw back...

I should have titled this...."making the best out of a closet shop"

B,:

·
Mr.20C
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some more of what's going on...

It's getting there....slow but sure...

Finished the banding, base tone...and a few coats of lacquer ...

I still have some glazing to do....and few more coats of lacquer after that. more to go with this section but I'm going to deal with that later....work keeps getting in the way... ...

Bench is next...

B,

·
where's my table saw?
28,735 Posts
you are no Frankenstein...

But you are crazy, in a wonderful insane/crazy kinda' way. That is some awesome stuff you work with. :thumbsup: You and Warner are cut from the same cloth. I never thought I would see and hear a variable speed jointer ... sounds like it will lift off any second. Great stuff! :yes:

·
Mr.20C
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well
I don't think I am crazy Bill (but i have nothing to verify that-lol). I have a thing for machinery and inventing ,or , coming up with my own ideas. Sometimes they are succesfull and sometimes they don't work out and its back to the drawing board - it's a trial and error process.

The mechanism for the in/out is incredibly accurate, took me some time to get it just write but it wasn't that difficult. I still have a lot of work to do on this station but you get the idea. The aluminum track is for sizing 4x8 sheets of ply material, I still have 2 scales figure out for measuring and some miscellaneous items. Outriggers/stops built into the miter station ,fence for the router,....etc..etc.....

It is coming together and works great!

Thanks,

B,

·
Mr.20C
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well,......trial run ....

Everything went great ,within exception of a shut down.........;)...:laughing:

These are in order....

Then ..............http://youtu.be/xUCB6lzb5aw

I finished the cut.....

Onward,...

The jig for the Makita (spacing from the edge of the blade to the rail fence)

And back to just the bare field ....

More to come.....

B,

·
where's my table saw?
28,735 Posts
just so I understand...

Underneath this piece of plywood is some Monster big Arse table saw which you are using as a plywood support table so you can rip the ply using your Makita cir saw and a straight edge guide which is attached to the of your super huge router table which projects itself out from under your miter saw table with great precision... I'm lost. :blink:

You didn't want to make a vertical 2 axis panel saw after seeing mine?
Bring some plywood and stop over if you're in the vicinity. :laughing:

I'm very impressed, I'm just not sure why? ;)

·
Mr.20C
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I liked your panel saw Bill but shop space is at a premium .......

Sooooo......

I had to come up with a station that served a few purposes and could go from one to the other without becoming a big hassle ....

Miter saw/router/ripping/ bench...........oh,...and some storage .....

I can rip sheets on my 88D but its a pita. That saw is for dimensioning smaller pieces..

I'll shoot a video of how this all works when it's done.

B,

·
Mr.20C
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On to another attempt at making the best out of a closet shop.....lol

Still not finished with the miter/router/rail station.....I got tired of chasing my hardware all over the shop , I move it from one place to another...stacking then de-stacking...finally had enough....sooooooooo....

Well,

Another gizmo station ......

Combo deal to save space,.,.

Was looking for a small outfeed for the 88d , some draws and storage for hardware/tools (still have to fabricate those) and a small bench platform, oh..and a place i can store my larger dolly.....

It's not finished (as with a lot of other things) but getting there. It's amazing how much space I have...even for 500 sq ft...:laughing:

Made the outfeed roller assembly...welded.

Dry fit ......

The combo cab with the removable 2' x 42" dolly......

Dry run test...

The conversion to portable bench top...

B,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts