Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a Grizzly G0609 12" jointer! Yay! I paid $34 for liftgate service. Yay!

Unfortunately, UPS may not have the equipment to move the crate 40' down my rather steep (cars often bottom out at the top) asphalt driveway into my garage. :eek: What's the best way to go about this?

I have one of those harbor freight hydraulic motorcycle lifts. I also have a furniture dolly. Aaaaaand... that's pretty much it. :D

I'm not opposed to solutions that cost a little money, but cheaper is better so long as it's safe. Any ideas? I've never had to move something this heavy before.

Thanks!

·
7,222 Posts
A bit more information. Do you have a tractor? Do you have a car with a hitch?

Make a dolly for the crate with e.g., 4in caster, two fixed, two swivel.

If you have a car with a hitch, then lash this to the hitch and slowly back down the drive. Make sure you secure the crate to the dolly first. ;)

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Dave Paine said:
Make sure you secure the crate to the dolly first. ;)
Something tells me this statement comes from experience.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Yep...what he said. Either that or a few friends to help ease it down....again on a dolly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I do have a car with a hitch. The jointer weighs 1034 lbs. Any idea where I can get casters capable of that kind of weight? I suppose I could double them up, but that sounds like it might not work very well.

2x4s are cheap for a dolly frame. I'll have to look into attaching a trailer hitch to it though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Maybe this for the hitch? http://www.harborfreight.com/d-ring-receiver-hitch-66212.html
Attached with a bunch of rope or chain. Chain? http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-x-14-ft-truckers-chain-97711.html

Rigid casters: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-x-2-inch-heavy-duty-rigid-caster-41566.html
Swivel casters: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-inch-x-2-inch-heavy-duty-swivel-caster-41562.html

Looks like maybe $100 to $150 depending on rope/chain/2x4/nails cost. Not too bad. Wonder if it would be cheaper to have someone move it?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
$100 to $150 depending on rope/chain/2x4/nails cost. Not too bad. Wonder if it would be cheaper to have someone move it?
You should at least get a price... if it costs close to the same then I'd hire it out... then if it gets broken somehow, it is their fault and not yours.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I wouldn't bother with casters. 4x4 fencepost skid frame. Bunch of pieces of gas pipe for rollers. As one comes out the top/back, bring it around to the front.
I bought a gigantic chest-type deep freezer from the next door neighbor. Out his basement door, up a full flight of concrete steps, from his side yard into my side yard, into my carport and straight into my basement into position. I hired movers, 2 guys, a 3/4" plywood skid plate and 6 pieces of pipe. Took them less than 30 minutes. $30 and I didn't bust a gut.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Rent a trailer and go from the UPS truck to the trailer-then down the hill behind vehicle- again strap it securely to trailer. The have fools-err friends over to help get it off of trailer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not hating the black iron pipe idea paired with a come along either. Could anchor to my truck hitch at the top of the driveway. Seems like it might be more controllable than casters.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just bought one of these and set it up in my shop. First off, the crate is huge! Mine had a metal frame under it that the jointer was bolted too. I was able to put a set of flat for wheel dollies under it and get it into place. Despite what the shipping weight says I was able to lift one side by myself while someone positioned the dolly. When we got it close to its new home and me and a friend were able to lift it completely up and put it in place. It was very heavy with both sides up I was only able to pick it up 3-4 inches. I say all of this to say that u will need help to get it off the metal skid.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I do have serious doubts that it weighs 1,000 lbs, but it is very heavy. The pallet is metal but light weight and not designed to be dragged for sure

image-2720990734.jpg

image-1898095692.jpg

Not sure what gauge metal it is but I use 11 gauge mild steel all the time and it is for sure thinner than that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts