Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Procrastinator (For now.)
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I've seen guys who have moved the angle adjustment crank from the side to the front. I now have a need to do that. Anyone know of how it's done or where I can find info? Thanks.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'll guess it depends greatly on the saw being used. I've got a home made drill press milling table setup, and did a version with X and Y direction handles on the front. Had to rig up a 90 degree gear to translate front twist to side twist. Not hard in something being done from scratch, but you'll need to study how your saw is currently set up to see what the best way would be.

·
where's my table saw?
28,759 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
In the past I've seen guys who have moved the angle adjustment crank from the side to the front. I now have a need to do that. Anyone know of how it's done or where I can find info? Thanks.
this is how it was done on a TS:

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/58567

the eighth topic in that blog covers the "relocation" of the bevel hand wheel from the side of the saw to the front.

i followed the technique on a 113 series c-man ts and it worked out fine.

Attachments

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Cabinet Man. I am talking about my Ridgid 3650. I've had it about 5-6 years now and it has been absolutely reliable. Love it. Between my weight and my age I'm having trouble reaching down under the table to get to the adjustment wheel. I've even worked around using it a few times lately. However, when I have to use it I do.

·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great Toolguy. Some of that stuff is over my head engineering wise, but now I have a good idea how it's done and I'm sure I'll bumble my way through it and "git er done"! Thanks.

·
where's my table saw?
28,759 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Looks great Toolguy. Some of that stuff is over my head engineering wise, but now I have a good idea how it's done and I'm sure I'll bumble my way through it and "git er done"! Thanks.
if you really want to make this change, i suggest you study the write by the LJ poster. i followed it almost verbatim and only had to change one or two components. it's a great way to relocate the bevel activating mechanism if that's your want. here's a couple more pics. IIRC, i got a piece of plain 1.2" steel rod and had a local machinist turn one end to fit the 3/8" drill chock of the RA drive assembly and they also machined the other end of the rod to fit the c-man hand wheel. all the other fittings and sundries weer from grainger. the flexible coupling (seen pretty clearly in the last pic) is what allows the RA drive to be connect to the saw's bevel mechanism. one day, i'll do the same thing to my ridgid 2412.

Attachments

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,480 Posts
As the lumber jocks article mentioned you'll need a turn the corner thingie..;)

·
Interested Observer
1,152 Posts
I expect if I was going to do something like that, I would make a wooden gearbox, with a couple bevel gears, a couple shafts and 4 pillow blocks.

·
where's my table saw?
28,759 Posts
You guys realize this is a 2013 thread, right? Reborn a 9 hrs ago.......

·
Registered
349 Posts
And there are still angle cranks on the side lol. I don't plan on moving mine but it's a cool idea for those that want to.

And fun to combine mechanics with woodworking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts