Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a couple pair of BLUMOTION Tandem Plus #563H331-02B drawer slides.
I purchased these online and I don't have any mounting hardware for them.
They are going to be used for two kitchen flatware drawers, with an overlay, going into a built-in face frame cabinet from the 1920s.
The back wall of the cabinet is plaster on lath construction.
I'm used to making my own wood slides/runners or mounting simple metal slides, so this slide design is new territory for me. The Blum materials appear very detailed ... but also a little complex.

For those familiar with this product, what's the simplest way to mount the slides for this application? Reading through the instructions I may be wrong but it looks like rear mounting the slides isn't an option with these (if it is an option, what additional hardware would I need to purchase?). Conversely, will I need to block in the sides of the cabinet to make a support for the slides to mount to?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
26,209 Posts
I bought a couple pair of BLUMOTION Tandem Plus #563H331-02B drawer slides.
I purchased these online and I don't have any mounting hardware for them.
They are going to be used for two kitchen flatware drawers, with an overlay, going into a built-in face frame cabinet from the 1920s.
The back wall of the cabinet is plaster on lath construction.
I'm used to making my own wood slides/runners or mounting simple metal slides, so this slide design is new territory for me. The Blum materials appear very detailed ... but also a little complex.

For those familiar with this product, what's the simplest way to mount the slides for this application? Reading through the instructions I may be wrong but it looks like rear mounting the slides isn't an option with these (if it is an option, what additional hardware would I need to purchase?). Conversely, will I need to block in the sides of the cabinet to make a support for the slides to mount to?

Thanks a bunch!
All that is needed is a piece of wood about 3" wide running from the back side of the faceframe to the wall on each side. You might attach a piece of wood about 3" wide to the wall first to attach the bracket to. I normally make the bracket out of 1/2" plywood and put a 1/2"x1/2" piece of solid wood on the very front and put a 3/4"x3/4" block of wood at the back on the inside. I attach the drawer brackets at the front first, put the drawer in and adjust the drawer around to where it fits right and then nail the 3/4" blocks at the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help.
Actually these can be mounted with optional rear brackets. I spoke with Blum and I was confused as there's a slide with the same model number but it has a period (.) in the number and that version will not work with a rear bracket. Overlooking the dot has caused the confusion.

Steve I'll look deeper into your drawing when I have a little free time (also I've made the cabinet these are destined for deeper by a few inches so I'm going to buy a couple pairs 3" longer slides, get some more wood, and make longer drawers).
I don't think the side support is necessary if I use a rear mount bracket(?).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think the side support is necessary if I use a rear mount bracket(?).
I use these slides all the time and only put 2 screws into the face frame and a few through the rear brackets. Never had an issue. The brackets allow a little play as well so drawers don't need to be quite as perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts