Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am hoping that you guys can help me out here. I found a new GE 1/4 horse motor that I want to use on the V-drum sander that I am building.

It has no wires coming out so I am trying to figure out how to hook it up. I am going to mount a switch on the front. I know how to wire a switch so that's not a problem.

There seems to be two nuts insiide. One is brass sort of and other is a bright chrome looking screw.

Any suggestions?

Also, seems kind of a silly question but does anyone who has a V-drum know which way the drum turns. Toward the operator or away from the operator? I have watched two or three vidieos and I can't tell for sure.

Charlie

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
The problem you have with a question like that is every brand of motor is wired different. Most of the time there is a schematic on the motor which shows how it should be wired. If that isn't available then at least post the model of the motor. At a 1/4 hp it is probably single phase 110v so there should be one hot lead, one neutral and a ground attached to the body of the motor.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem you have with a question like that is every brand of motor is wired different. Most of the time there is a schematic on the motor which shows how it should be wired. If that isn't available then at least post the model of the motor. At a 1/4 hp it is probably single phase 110v so there should be one hot lead, one neutral and a ground attached to the body of the motor.
Yes, Steve, your right I should have put up more info. There is a schematic but the motor has been scratched in the area so parts are missing.

However, I think I figured it out. Your right in the the motor is 110v. And I kind of figured out which lead was which and attached my cord. Walla, it works. The one part of the schematic I could read seems to indicate that the motor is reversable by switching the hot and the neutral and it will run backwards. Sound correct?

Thanks Steve.

Charlie

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Black from switch to brass on motor.
White from wall to silver on motor.
Green from wall to frame of motor.
Black from wall to switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts