Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 · (Edited)
Turns out I had the neutral and hot on the wrong terminals. It ran fine a few times then started popping real bad and tripping the gfi. Opening up the motor I see that I should really replace some winding leads. The insulation is old and crumbly. And, it looks like burn Marks on my L1 terminal from the arcing. I can't see anything wrong there other than very old solder on the back of the terminal going to the klixon. Maybe it's a bad connection that flowing new solder can fix.

This cheap old motor is getting involved. I have another to put on so now I can tinker with this and figure out how to fix it. I hope to fix it since it's a dual voltage. Seems like it ought to come in handy at some point if not back on my ancient drill press.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #23 ·
http://www.a-seamarine.com/volt.php

It may be that the ground and neutral wires are interchanged within the motor? at the outlet? Get a circuit tester from Home Depot and check your polarity:

I checked my shop wiring. It's fine. I checked the windings, continuity is fine on all, no shorts to the casing, no shorts between windings. The "fun" part is going to be figuring how to replace the winding leads. Not a lot of room in there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

not many 120v motors will have a problem when the hot and neutral are reversed to the motor. nice catch on the ungrounded note.

if the conductors themselves are good, you can slip a piece of heat shrink tubing over the bad insulation, if the replacement is too difficult.

good luck

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.