Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a chisel mortiser, but i've never been terribly happy with its finished mortises. The interior edges are always rough, not always square as the chisel deflects a bit, and hard to keep it perfectly inline with larger mortises.

I tried a plunger router with an upcut spiral bit tonight....and I again wasn't terribly happy with the results.....

From looking at videos.....I think my ideal tool would be a chain mortiser, but there doesn't seem to be any that are within my budget.....

So my question.....if you had 24 1x1x1 mortises to cut into red oak....what method would you use?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would use a router with a down cut spiral. Up cut will give you tear out. You can also use straight, providing it's a plunge bit.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
In this case, due to the symmetry of 1x1x1, I would use a dowel as a loose tenon and set up with a drill press.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you say you can't get square and/or consistant mortises with your mortising machine,sounds to me that you have a low-end machine. When you start with crap you will end up with crap. A more costly and higher end machine SHOULD give you no troubles, in those areas. To get cleaner mortises, you need SHARP, high-end cutters.

BUT, if this is a one-time production, no use spending hundreds of dollars on a little use tool, it would be faster to use a plunge router and a home-made jig. Make it large enough to use clamps and still plenty of room for the router. You can lay it out so its easy to line up. To achieve clean mortises, use multible passes, no more than 3/16", per pass, again, with SHARP cutters. If you need more help, ask.

woodchuck1954
"A Legend in His Own Mind"

·
7,222 Posts
So my question.....if you had 24 1x1x1 mortises to cut into red oak....what method would you use?
This is a big hole for a mortise chisel. Have you tried first cutting a round 1in hole with a Forstner bit to remove most of the material. The mortise chisel may then be able to cut the corners without deflecting.

Plan "B" may be to just use the 1in dia Forstner for the mortise and make round tenons with a 1in plug cutter.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=42292&cat=1,180,42288

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave Paine said:
This is a big hole for a mortise chisel.
I've been doing it in multiple passes with a 1/2 inch inch chisel. I'm going to break out the drill press and forestner bit tonight and give that a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts