Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
31,939 Posts
Not actually. I did take architectural drawing in high school. I also took some drawing classes in college, drafting, and figure drawing, and design drawing with sketches.
We were taught a very technical approach to perspective drawing, orthopedic projection. We even projected "shades and shadows" on those drawings!
At work there were "illustrators and designers". The illustrators could make a rendering look so real with reflections in the chrome and the paint. The designers were more focused on the shape and lines on the cars. I did some design work when I started there, but changed my career path to clay modeling or sculpture where I remained for 25 years. I was a far better sculptor than a designer. My design skills were OK. but no match for the best automotive designers in the business.

@ woodthings......that would be "orthographic" projection.
LOL! I don't know how I came up with orthopedic, rather than orthographic! Especially when I know the difference after having knee replacement surgery by an orthopedic surgeon. Brain fart or typo, I donno?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I sure hope I can get some help here. I am making an Ipe bench. It is 1½ thick - the top and three legs. Bench top is 23” wide and. 83” long. I used my router to create three mortises, and when I dry fit the legs there is a little wiggle. The depth of the mortise is ⅝”.
Question 1: is ⅝ deep enough?
Question 2: I was planning to use System Three #2 general purpose epoxy to attach the legs. I was told wood glue was not the right choice.
Any tips on applying the epoxy in the mortise? Will it hold the legs?
Will the epoxy squish up and fill the small gaps on the sides?

thanks in advance for any suggestions.
pictures should help.

BJ

View attachment 440442

View attachment 440440

View attachment 440441
I have had similar goofs. The way I handled it was I added a piece of wood, same grain direction, to the tenons and glued it up. I then re-cut the tenons for a proper fit. Although epoxy has significant strength of it's own, I would still rather have a well fit M&T joint. Epoxy will work fine with oily woods such as Ipea or teak, I would suggest wiping the pieces down with acetone prior to gluing up with the epoxy.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,515 Posts
Seems to me you still have an inch and 3/8s to play with from the depth of the mortise to the table top. You might want to consider sinking a few dowels in the tops of the legs and into the mortises for more rigidity...A few stretchers certainly aren't going to hurt the overall strength.. Just an idea.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,515 Posts
LOL! I don't know how I came up with orthopedic, rather than orthographic! Especially when I know the difference after having knee replacement surgery by an orthopedic surgeon. Brain fart or typo, I donno?
You're spending too much time hanging out with the saw bones.. lol That was my dad's official doctor designation.. I still use that one..
Orthopedic projection.. Sounds like my time in scholastic art.. I spent my time drawing and painting naked women. THAT came in handy at the time although it never really made me a dime since. There's not a lot of want ads for naked women artists..

21 - 26 of 26 Posts