Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for any comments/help. I'm determined to try a mortising attachment on my new Porter Cable 15". I can't find a PC mortising attachment for it and the other kits I find do not have the bushing for 47mm that I need. Is "close enough" on the bushing ok? I believe the Delta kit comes with a 48mm bushing. Will that work? Several kits mentioned that they come with different size bushings and to use the one closest to the size of the quill. Do the bushings flex at all or have some leeway on size? I see mention of a Porter Cable attachment in various places but darned if I can find one for sale anywhere. Some are listed as "universal" as well.....

·
7,222 Posts
Let me check my Delta kit. If this fits your PC drill press I am sure we can work out a deal. I tried using this on a small bench drill press and the table flexes too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave. I have been told that my DP is 47mm but I have not confirmed that with PC or through any paperwork. Just what another owner told me.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
my moritising kit did not contain bushings that fit my import dp either. I measured the diameter and brought a set into a machine shop and they machined out the id to fit my dp. works fine. charge was very minimal (had something to do with beer i think)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh, go figure. Hadn't thought of that one! Duh....just have to remember to take them the smaller size not the larger one...! Did you try to use it before you got it machined, when it was too small?

·
7,222 Posts
I just checked my Delta kit. It states bushing for the following quill diameters
38mm
48mm
50.8mm
66mm

What model Jet drill press? Is there room between the chuck and the bottom of the quill?

The reason I cannot use this on my floor standing Powermatic is that I would have to mount this on the quill. I have the bushing, however mounting on the quill would mean I have to remove the depth stop, which I would not want to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's not a Jet DP, its a Porter Cable 15" Model #PCB660DP. The one sold at the blue big box store. Again, someone told me that it is 47mm but I have no proof and can't find it in the specs. Looked at the schematic online but can't even tell where the mortise attachment would go much less the size. The DP is still in its box in the back of my truck. Haven't set it up yet. Wondering if I should take it back and get another one that has a ore standard size so I can use the mortise kit. Have this sneaky suspicion that I would end up spending more money to try out a function that most say doesn't work real well.....

I wonder if I could take an aluminum pie plate or something similar that is about .5mm and cut out a strip to epoxy in the bushing? Just not sure how much of an exact science this attachment is and why some of thee manufacturers mention picking the closest size to use...I believe Woodtec and Rikon both say that for their kits...

·
7,222 Posts
You did say PC, not sure why I thought Jet.

I think you would have the same issue as on my Powermatic. The kit attaches on the quill and even if your quill was close to the bushing diameter, the depth stop screw is in the way.

This is taken from page 18 of the instruction manual.

The kit would be attached to the quill above the plate at the bottom of the quill. This plate also supports the depth stop screw.

PC_bench_drll_press.jpg

FYI, even if this kit would fit, a drill press is not the best tool for using mortise chisels/bits. Not enough leverage on the handle.

You would be much better off with a dedicated mortise machine. Longer handle, typically rack and pinion for the quill travel, beefier shaft, etc.

Making the first hole is harder than the other holes.

I gave up and drill a series of holes and clean out the mortise with a hand chisel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for taking the time to do all that. So I guess it doesn't matter what the size, it will interfere with the DP operation. Oh well! Like I said I have the feeling that it was all a bad experiment anyway. Oh darn, I have to look at buying another tool. DOn't you just hate when that happens??? "Honey, bad news, I'm so down about it....the mortise attachment won't fit so as much as I hate it I have to look at getting....."

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Have you considered a separate mortiser? Often can be found on Craigslist for 100 or so.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Huh, go figure. Hadn't thought of that one! Duh....just have to remember to take them the smaller size not the larger one...! Did you try to use it before you got it machined, when it was too small?
i did try it but no go, it needs to be a darn near perfect match on diameters for the clamp mechanismm to work. my dp did not have interference as did the previous post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts