Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is am bit more wood I took down yesterday,Look at the grain on the bottom of the stump.I cut it at ground level.I think I'm gettin to dang old for this crap.I took down that walnut,an that poplar you see in the background plus four others before the chainsaw got tired.I didn't think the trees were that big or there was that much to cut up,so I left my bigboy(homelite) home an did all of this with a little 33cc 14" poulan.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Woodsman
You have some great looking wood there but you said it yourself. Little too old for that heavy work. That's how I had a heart attack, don't want you to have that happen to you. Careful. Mitch:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I have. I removed a walnut tree for a friend who said I could have it all if I cut it down. It was hanging over his workshop. It took all day with ropes and me hanging from a harness to remove that tree. There was almost no heart wood, even though the tree was about 12" or more at the base. The only heart wood was about 3" right around the pith. totally useless.
When I'm cutting I don't think I'm too old. It's the next day when I can't get out of bed, that it reminds me.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have. I removed a walnut tree for a friend who said I could have it all if I cut it down. It was hanging over his workshop. It took all day with ropes and me hanging from a harness to remove that tree. There was almost no heart wood, even though the tree was about 12" or more at the base. The only heart wood was about 3" right around the pith. totally useless.
When I'm cutting I don't think I'm too old. It's the next day when I can't get out of bed, that it reminds me.
You got that last part right :smile:

I will probably give most of this away
to a friend in SC.I'm hoping to get down to his place on the 3rd of next mo.and do some tradin for some elm an spaulted sweetgum.Headin back over to waynesville in the morn to get another load of apple wood.
Ken

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I spoke too soon about Walnut. I took my dog to the park and they had taken down a walnut tree. I made a few phone calls and got permission to get some. We hauled off 2 truck loads of logs from 16" down to 11". I left several logs because we were getting tired and it was getting dark. I'm going to try to give most of it away because I don't have time to turn it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts