Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not a woodwork project, more of a deep cleaning project. Early 1900's Industrial cart

UPDATE MORE PICS OF CART 5/19/13

Like I said this isn't really a woodworking project, it's just a lot of detailing.

A couple weeks ago I posted about a old industrial cart that I caught someone trying to throw away. So I rented a U-haul, asked my GF to park on the street for a few weeks :icon_redface: (not very gentlemanly, I know) and brought it home.

I went to the local hardware store for some goo-gone and some 00 steel wool, and got to work. After a few hours, I got MOST of the paint and glue off. It's last owner was a painter, and he was NOT kind to this table.

Here a bunch of pics from when I found the table, and some from the cleaning process today. I also put a layer of Oil based Satin Varnish on the tabletop. After the deep cleaning it was looking pretty dull with lots of grey lines.

BEFORE

AFTER (STILL NOT FINISHED)

BTW, none of the pictures have ANY color enhancement :thumbsup:

I am doing my best to clean it up, while still maintaining it's awesome vintage look. It's mostly just been hours of elbow grease. The table top photo was taken after applying one coat of varnish. I might sand it a little and apply one more before I post it for sale.

I also haven't finished the top of the cart, so I'll upload more pics in the next couple of days. Hopefully I can finish it this weekend. There is a LOT of dried glue on the wheels that is proving very difficult to take off, without removing the awesome green paint.

THANKS FOR LOOKING:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
great score. I have a pair of 1930's warehouse pallets which I have as a coffee table.

I think your cart is a lot later than 1900's. Back then, they would likely have used square bolts instead of hex. I think yours is 1930's - 1950's.

the wood is that color naturally? it looks so totally decadent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! It feels good to be able to work with my hands for once.

great score. I have a pair of 1930's warehouse pallets which I have as a coffee table.

I think your cart is a lot later than 1900's. Back then, they would likely have used square bolts instead of hex. I think yours is 1930's - 1950's.

the wood is that color naturally? it looks so totally decadent.
Yea I know it's not too early. I was told 1920-50's, I have been trying to do research of the markings on the wheels, to narrow down a date, but so far nothing yet.

The color is the wood wet from the Varnish, Even now that it's dry it still looks amazing, I'm still in shock that someone tried to throw it out. I wish I could find more people giving away awesome antiques :laughing:

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Very nice. I wonder what kind of wood that is. It's quite gorgeous. Also, it looks like there was once tires on those wheels. You got a great score there. And you're doing a fine job bringing it back to life.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wonder where you can get some casters that have that vintage industrial look without costing a ton, reproduction or something remotely similar.

Nice job!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice. I wonder what kind of wood that is. It's quite gorgeous. Also, it looks like there was once tires on those wheels. You got a great score there. And you're doing a fine job bringing it back to life.
I'm not sure of that myself. I showed someone w picture who said it looked like redwood, but I honestly have NO clue.

I wonder where you can get some casters that have that vintage industrial look without costing a ton, reproduction or something remotely similar.

Nice job!
That's a good idea, I'll try and do some research to see what i can find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts