Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
David
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some things I've made for Christmas gifts -

• Six piece interlocking puzzle (got it from FWW years ago but don't remember which issue), Walnut, Mahogany, Rosewood, light oil finish
  • Spalted Maple clocks with Ebony base (different shape on each base), finished with Nitrocellulose lacquer
  • 'Alarm' out of Spalted Maple with Walnut or Rosewood end pieces to go with the clock from the previous year (gotta' have an alarm on your clock, right?), Nitrocellulose lacquer. The aluminum rod is supported by Kevlar thread double wrapped and a drop of super glue to hold it in place. It actually rings with some degree of sustain. I wrote up a whimsical set of instructions on how to use the 'Snooze' feature.
  • Letter openers of various exotic woods, polished bare wood
  • Tape dispensers out of Mahogany and/or Walnut, light oil finish
As you can see from the photos, I mass produced the puzzles and cut plenty of blanks. I kept all the extra cutoffs from the letter openers because I never know what little project I'll come up with where I need a small piece of nice wood.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Those are nice.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Very nice! You've got some lucky people on your gift list this year. I like the tape dispenser. But the letter openers are especially nice. :thumbsup:

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Excellent projects. I'd be interested in a build thread on your items some time. I'm always looking for those type of items, especially the letter openers.

Mark

·
Administrator
David
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the neat thing about cutting blanks ahead of time - we're headed to a Sunday School Christmas party this evening and needed a unique gift. I took a blank I had already made, cut the six pieces, and began sanding. About 30 minutes of sanding, about 30 minutes to figure out again how it goes together, and we've got a unique gift for tonight! Ok, make that 45 minutes to figure out how it goes together... :blink:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts