Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Man
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a craftsman 10" bandsaw that's about 4 years old and takes blades that are 70-1/2". I got a pack of 3 blades... 1/8", 1/4", and 3/8". The 3/8 blade cuts straight and true. The other blades wander terribly especially in oak. I'm not using a fence either... they simply will not follow a line. I've got lots of tension on it (although I'm not sure what is adequate. I've heard a blade shouldn't deflect more than 1/8" so that's what I'm running with.) The blade runs at the front of the wheels with the teeth running just off the rubber. I am at a loss. Any suggestions? I would be glad to hear them.

Bobby

·
where's my table saw?
27,863 Posts
I have the same saw

I would not expect a 1/8" blade to perform well even IF you can get it to track under no load. The blade guides will be so close to the teeth you run the risk of cutting into them. I use a 1/4" blade and mostly the 3/8" blade.

The narrow blades are for cutting really tight radii and unless you need to do that, stay with the wider blade. I'd use a scroll saw if I needed a tight radius. Oak won't cut like Pine, but it does cut nicely with a sharp blade. I'd stay away from the 3 pack blades ...but make certain you get the thinner, .025 thickness because the thicker ones will break from metal fatigue on those small 10" wheels.

It's a nice little saw for hobby work and you can cut up to 3" maybe 4" material, but it will take patience.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Try adjusting the tracking until the teeth ride in the center of the top tire. You'll need to back out the guides first. Take the table off...it'll will be in your way and cause frustration. When you get used to swapping out blades, this whole operation takes less than 10 minutes.

I run a 1/16 blade on my 11 inch sometimes and just keep the side guides out of the way.

·
The Man
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right. It's served me well for what I've needed it for but I certainly can't do big stuff with it. One day though... one day...

I have a nice porter cable scroll saw so maybe I'll just keep the 3/8 blade in place and use the scroll saw to do the tight work.

I only bought a 3 pack because that's how Sears packages them but thanks to the service I get in there I probably won't be going back. Does woodcraft supply those size of blades?

·
The Man
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I always remove the table and I've got it down to a slick quick operation. The only problem is when I run the blade in the center of the wheels the pitch of the wheel causes them to rub the door latches. Quite a pickle huh?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts