Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I decided to try the "cube-in-a-cube" thing. My first try was with some treated 4x4. Turned out OK. I learned the basics and thought about some modifications. Next try was some laminated pine boards, and learned it MUST be cubicle to get the best results. Last week I spied some lumber,(5x5x9') aside the road and STOLE it. I'm thinking it is poplar that has never seen a kiln. After much ado, (and several bandaids) getting the material straight and getting the nails out, I finally wound up with about 18" of 4x4 almost square. Now I have some stuff to work with(?).
I got the DP set up with the forstner bit, and wouldn't you know it, the bit was dull(?) or not. So I sharpened it. After much more ado I learned my DP drive belt was faulty, so I left the set-up on the DP and ordered a new belt on-line. That was 8 days ago. I've been sitting here waiting for a belt. Found out later the order took 4 days to get started. Might get my belt July 18.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, it has been really warm in SE USA, Durham, NC. So we have window fans, ceiling fans, floor fans, etc. to get us by without turning on the A/C. The LOML decided, (instead of asking me), to check the rotation of the ceiling fan over her bed. She stepped up on the quilt chest at the foot of the bed to make adjustments. The world has changed. She slipped from the quilt chest and fell into the chest of drawers behind her. Defensively she put her right hand down to soften the fall. Bad move. She broke her right wrist severly, the ulna now pointing toward her elbow. 15 minutes later I had her at the Urgent Med Center. Dr/xrays say she needs surgery to repair the damage.("We'll tell them you're coming") 20 minutes later we are at the ER at the hospital. After waiting 3 hours she finally got a bed and some minimal pain relief. "Let's try reduction by manipulation rather than surgery". Ouch, ouch,ouch, more morphine please. They finally got her where she could sit up, got a flexible cast on her right arm, and after 8 hours in the ER they finally let me bring her home. (4:30 est US). She has been asleep for all but 1 hour in the last 14 hours. I have become the domestic goddess of this castle. Drill press drive belt is a moot point.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife. We all tend to get wrapped up in whatever project we are working on and don't pay as much attention to "real life" as we should. For me, it is usually the look on my sons face as he watches me through the garage door that brings me back. I'm sorry it had to be an injury to a loved one for you... So did you atleast turn the A/C on for her?????

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear about your wife. We all tend to get wrapped up in whatever project we are working on and don't pay as much attention to "real life" as we should. For me, it is usually the look on my sons face as he watches me through the garage door that brings me back. I'm sorry it had to be an injury to a loved one for you... So did you atleast turn the A/C on for her?????
.Yep, done that. So now I'm inside too!

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
D O M

I don't know what to say other than sympathy to both of you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I hope she heals quickly. It was a good thing you were there when it happened.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Well that sucks! I hope her arm quickly and without complications.

About the DP belt, you should have just taken the old one to an auto parts store. That's where I bought my last few replacements. They even had them in stock. Inexpensive and no waiting. Many (maybe most) drill presses use standard automotive V-belts.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well that sucks! I hope her arm quickly and without complications.

About the DP belt, you should have just taken the old one to an auto parts store. That's where I bought my last few replacements. They even had them in stock. Inexpensive and no waiting. Many (maybe most) drill presses use standard automotive V-belts.
.Steve
I spent 1/2 a day and drove about 50 miles total between auto parts stores, NAPA Walker, Car Quest, Advance, Wal Mart, DeWalt repair Store, and even Woodcraft. No one could match it up. There's been a shake-up at Delta so DeWalt doesn't repair Delta stuff anymore.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
That's a shame. I must have just gotten lucky but I got a belt for a benchtop DP (Ryobi, I think) and a set of belts for my floor model Jet DP at Advance Auto Parts for around $7-8 each.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Moot point is another moot point

First I want to thank all for their well wishes. Mama is now almost able to move about on her own. Even in my declining abilities I am able to help her into and out of the shower, to and from her bed and or chair. She still refuses the narco-meds and would rather suffer the pain than the side effects. The dogs seem to know what's going on and try to comfort her. She had some company today from some of her co-workers, who brought food, making it easier for me to feed her/us. Nothing like moral support.
As for the DP drive belt, it arrived in the mail today. After getting Mama comfy I installed the belt and continued the drilling on the aforementioned cube-in-a-cube. The forstner bit was great, went on through the material well. But I apparently screwed up by not tightening the depth stop sufficiently last week and now I have another piece of 3x3x3 firewood. Previous moot point is now another moot point.
In order to get a bank loan, you must first prove you don't need one.
May your god take a likening to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts