Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Those are really cool. I wouldn't mind giving one of those a try.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nicely done. I'm moved to try and build one. How did you cut the tires? Not sure I can do that - for that matter, not sure I can do the body. Ralph

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Art Rafael said:
Nicely done. I'm moved to try and build one. How did you cut the tires? Not sure I can do that - for that matter, not sure I can do the body. Ralph
Would you be willing to do a build thread on these trucks with an emphasis on the tires/wheels. Specifically, how do you do the angle of grooves and how do you determine the distance between grooves to have then turn out correctly spaced all the way around.

Thanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plans are from wood magazine they explain how to do the wheels.
Have not sold anything yet. first craft show is labor day.
Maybe someone will stop by before then.
Have 1 customer looking but no sale yet.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Have not sold anything yet. first craft show is labor day.
Maybe someone will stop by before then.
Have 1 customer looking but no sale yet.
Best of luck to you. I hope you sell a bunch of them. Don't sell yourself short though I remember you were pricing your other trucks really low. Be sure to cover your time, materials PLUS enough profit to make it worth your efforts.

I plan to start selling at shows like that next year.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
croaker said:
Would you post which issue that is? Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Would you be willing to do a build thread on these trucks with an emphasis on the tires/wheels. Specifically, how do you do the angle of grooves and how do you determine the distance between grooves to have then turn out correctly spaced all the way around.

Thanks.

If you look closely you will see that the wheels are two pieces that were glued together after the fact...

That makes it a LOT easier in my opinion. :yes:

A solid wheel done like that would involve 'Jedi' skills for sure.

Great project here - Not discounting that in any way... :no:

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
OnealWoodworking said:
If you look closely you will see that the wheels are two pieces that were glued together after the fact...

That makes it a LOT easier in my opinion. :yes:

A solid wheel done like that would involve 'Jedi' skills for sure.

Great project here - Not discounting that in any way... :no:
I did notice the 2 pieces. My biggest was how were ten angled cuts made? Also, how we're they spaced properly?

I'd really like to try and make one of these.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Issue was june 1990
There is a pattern that you use to mark lines on the tire.
Next you make a jig to attach to miter gauge.
Then you set miter gauge to 15 degree angle and cut slots.
Have to cuts slots for right and left side of tire.
Hope this helps.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
I did notice the 2 pieces. My biggest was how were ten angled cuts made? Also, how we're they spaced properly?

If you go to Kenbo and buggymans hummer build thread, in posts 379-380 (on page 19), you will see how Kenbo made his... I think to make the treads face opposite directions, you just adjust the miter gauge the other direction.

Hope this helps.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
If you go to Kenbo and buggymans hummer build thread, in posts 379-380 (on page 19), you will see how Kenbo made his... I think to make the treads face opposite directions, you just adjust the miter gauge the other direction.

Hope this helps.
Actually, that helps alot. After following your link, I suddenly remember reading Ken's posts about that.

I appreciate your efforts!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

When trying to lay out proper spacing - First thing you have to is figure out how long your 'space' is that you need to divide into segments...

For a project like this you would need to measure the distance around the wheel. If your wife has a sewing kit you could use 'her' tape measure for this. It is likely a seamstress tape and will easily measure around a curve. (or you could wrap a piece of tape around the wheel - mark it - remove it - and then measure the length of tape...)

Once you have your total distance - You subtract the total thickness of ALL of the cuts you intend to make from that... (for example: If you are using a 1/8" blade and plan to make 8 cuts in the outside of the wheels - That adds up to 1 inch - You subtract this 1" of total 'cuts' from the outside diameter of the wheel)

You then divide this number by the number of spaces between the cuts to get the actual distance of your spacing...

Example: You have a 9" wheel and plan to make 8 cuts in it that are each 1/8th of an inch wide... 9" - (8 x 1/8") = 8" then take that 8" and divide by the number of spaces 8 / 8 = 1" Your 'spaces' will all be exactly one inch wide with 8 cuts (of 1/8th inch each) on a 9 inch diameter wheel...

Example 2: You have a 10' wheel and plan to use a 1/16th blade to make your cuts with... You plan to make 16 cuts total in the wheel...

10" - (16 x 1/16 = 1) = 9 / (number of spaces is 16) = .5625 inches for each 'space'...

:thumbsup:

If none of that makes any sence let me know and I will try to explain better... Not a problem. :smile:

If you need help converting fractions to decimals or decimals to fractions - I can help you with that as well. You dont 'need' a calculator to do this stuff - It is all simple math... (seriously) :yes:

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
OnealWoodworking said:
When trying to lay out proper spacing - First thing you have to is figure out how long your 'space' is that you need to divide into segments...

For a project like this you would need to measure the distance around the wheel. If your wife has a sewing kit you could use 'her' tape measure for this. It is likely a seamstress tape and will easily measure around a curve. (or you could wrap a piece of tape around the wheel - mark it - remove it - and then measure the length of tape...)

Once you have your total distance - You subtract the total thickness of ALL of the cuts you intend to make from that... (for example: If you are using a 1/8" blade and plan to make 8 cuts in the outside of the wheels - That adds up to 1 inch - You subtract this 1" of total 'cuts' from the outside diameter of the wheel)

You then divide this number by the number of spaces between the cuts to get the actual distance of your spacing...

Example: You have a 9" wheel and plan to make 8 cuts in it that are each 1/8th of an inch wide... 9" - (8 x 1/8") = 8" then take that 8" and divide by the number of spaces 8 / 8 = 1" Your 'spaces' will all be exactly one inch wide with 8 cuts (of 1/8th inch each) on a 9 inch diameter wheel...

Example 2: You have a 10' wheel and plan to use a 1/16th blade to make your cuts with... You plan to make 16 cuts total in the wheel...

10" - (16 x 1/16 = 1) = 9 / (number of spaces is 16) = .5625 inches for each 'space'...

:thumbsup:

If none of that makes any sence let me know and I will try to explain better... Not a problem. :smile:

If you need help converting fractions to decimals or decimals to fractions - I can help you with that as well. You dont 'need' a calculator to do this stuff - It is all simple math... (seriously) :yes:
Actually that all makes sense to me. I was actually thinking that might be a method and you proved me right. I think another method would be to find the center, and break it into segments based on degrees of the 360 circle. For example, a mark/tread every 36 degrees would be 10 cuts.

Mark

·
where's my table saw?
27,887 Posts
me too

Thanks.
I'd like to see the jig or the method for cutting the grooves uniformly deep and at the same precise angle.... I'm not coming up with anything simple myself. :no:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Actually that all makes sense to me. I was actually thinking that might be a method and you proved me right. I think another method would be to find the center, and break it into segments based on degrees of the 360 circle. For example, a mark/tread every 36 degrees would be 10 cuts.

Mark

The math becomes more difficult when talking about 'degrees' and 'circles'...

This gets simple when talking about a straight line measurement and dividing it into segments (minus the blade thickness)...

:yes:

FWIW - I aint 'skeert' of circles but I know how to make stuff easy on myself when possible... :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts