Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I figured I'd run this buy everyone as I am sure you had to deal with this at some time. Made my daughter in law a giraffe cutout of plywood which needed painted to be finished to use as a height measure gauge on the wall. Due to her not getting around to painting it for almost 2 years ( yes, 2 years! :) ), it has some surface mold on it from being in the garage. I am thinking of using straight Clorox on the parts to kill the mold before painting so it doesn't come thru. Any thoughts on this other than I'll have to probably lightly sand the raised wood some, planning on using a damp rag as to not do too much damage?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
7,222 Posts
Chlorox will work, as will a very dilute solution of bleach, which is basically what chlorox contains.

As soon as the bleach contacts the mold it will die, so you can use a light spray of the chlorox.

The water will likely raise the grain, so let it dry and then a light sanding to get back to smooth.

If the item is being painted the paint will also kill the mold due to no air, but the dark stain could show through, but best to remove first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
In addition to the spritz of Clorox, I would suggest you pick up a spray can of Zinseer BIN primer. It will do the best job of hiding-and keeping hidden-the mold marks. It provided an excellent base for the application of additional finishes.
 

·
i carved this
Joined
·
44 Posts
I would avoid the pressure washer. It forces the water into the wood and requires lengthy dry time before finishing.
I learned that the hard way, but I had mold stains that bleach wouldn't get rid of, ended up having to take the boards to a local high school and get the marks from the washer planed off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your advise. Wiped it down wth Clorox , some light sanding, and then some primer. Should be good.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top