Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored a Craftsman 10" Contractor Series Table Saw for $100.00 off of Cragislist. The saw fell off of the sellers trailer and damaged it but the fence looked, as best I could tell, straight. I wanted it for a rip fence upgrade to my 35 year old 10" saw.

After I got it home I found the bent stand and saw base was easily repairable so I decided to keep this and sell my lower end saw.

After I got it all together I put on my glasses (56 years old here ;)) and I read the sticker on the rip fence...ready for this... Biesemeyer, Mesa AZ. HOLY COW, I wanted to buy one of those from their factory/outlet/store in 1980 but at $326.00... no way could I justify that for my low end saw. They were a local company, since sold to Delta or...

Anyhow, enough bragging, now to the point.
It is presently wired for 110V. The cable from the wall outlet goes to a box with a board inside, then another cable leads out of the box to the main on/off switch. Does anyone know what this is?
I looked on the Sears Parts Direct but did not find this.
Technically, the box is gone from the mishap but the board and cables are there.

Now, lets get technical. The line (Black) wire goes to this box to the top of a relay. The other line goes from one of the other 2 spade connectors (I don't know which one). The common (white) has a soldered "Y" that goes to this main board spade connector and the main power switch. The ground (green) does not go to this box. Basically, the black is interupted via the relay and the white is Y'ed in; probably the common for the board.

The cable that goes from the wall AND to the switch have gromments to fit nicely into the box enclosure that I don't have. These cables seem to be factory made.

There "may" be a rheostat/variable resistor on this but if so the dial is broken off so no variable. See image with two very small wires hanging around the round circuit; front left corner of first image. Could this be a variable motor speed controller?

I did wire the black wires around this box and the motor does work. It turns on/off via the main factory switch.

I have some pictures attached if that may help some?

Rick

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Great deal on a saw with a Biesemeyer fence. As you know the fence alone was worth the price. :thumbsup:

How about some pictures of the motor.

I am thinking the circuit board may be a thermal / overamperage protection for the motor. Look to see if the motor has a label stating "Thermally protected".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that too. Motor is thermally protected and has a reset typical of Craftsman tool motors.

I have a pic of the label on the motor but I am on my cell phone now and I can't post pics from my Android phone to this BB. :thumbdown:
I will when I get back to office.

The more I think about this... my guess is this was an add on power supply cord that looks factory?

Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... rates a "YOU SUCK".
YULP I do at times. :laughing: I scored a 1958 Type II VW motor on Friday for $20 and is worth over $2K as is. A good week for sure.

I have some POTs laying around and I plan to solder a 0-10k POT to those two small wires hoping it being a speed controller. If it don't work I am removing this cable and putting a 15-20' 12ga cord wired to 220V.

Being you guys have gone out of your way to help me I will give an update when completed. I need to score the pop metal motor mount swivel plate with the two 5/8" pins. My JB weld repair failed. FleaBay has many so no biggie.
Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.