Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the car is in the garage most of the time, the shop space is tight. So, I have these 3 benches along the wall, each is about 7 1/2' long. Today I decided to convert one of them into a mobile table saw / router cart and put it near the front so I can wheel it out on the driveway when I want to do something that will throw sawdust into the air.

day 1: the router table is 24" wide, which just so happens to be the width of the frame of the bench. so that sits nicely on one side.

I cut out the top support from the right side and made a makeshift stand for the TS to get an idea of the concept.

I sure hope this works out ... I'm kinda winging it here ... :(

Attachments

·
John
3,028 Posts
"I sure hope this works out ... I'm kinda winging it here ..."

Sometimes those are the ones that work out the best. Looks like a good start:thumbsup:

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well ... it's not mobile ... YET. I plan to cut one pair of legs a little shorter and put wheels on (at least for now). The idea is to pick up one side and wheel it in place and then put it down again. That way, it would be less likely to move while in use.

I know you can get double locking wheels, but those things are expensive. But if it is too heavy to pick up one side then I may have to stick a crowbar in my wallet and go for them anyway.

Reactions: frankp

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not much to update tonight ... i just installed a couple of 2x3s to hold up the saw, and adjusted the height to line up with the router surface.

it is still in a mock up mode for the most part

Attachments

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need some help/advice ...

In some of the pics for this thread, you can see the legs of the bench I am starting with. Those legs are made from 2 2x3s glued together, so the foot print is 2 1/2" x 3".

All I have come up with so far is a "shoe" that extends across both legs, with a couple of 2x3s on the sides and a 2x6 on the bottom that the wheels are attached to ... like the drawings here ... the 1st is the way it is now, the 2nd would be with the shoe. At least that would give me something substantial to attach the wheels to.

But I'm sure there is a simpler, smarter, better way to to it.

Thoughts? How would you add wheels to this thing?

Attachments

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, Home Depot now has some 4" double locking casters that are not too expensive, so now I'm thinking I can put 4 wheels on it.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I need some help/advice ...

In some of the pics for this thread, you can see the legs of the bench I am starting with. Those legs are made from 2 2x3s glued together, so the foot print is 2 1/2" x 3".

All I have come up with so far is a "shoe" that extends across both legs, with a couple of 2x3s on the sides and a 2x6 on the bottom that the wheels are attached to ... like the drawings here ... the 1st is the way it is now, the 2nd would be with the shoe. At least that would give me something substantial to attach the wheels to.

But I'm sure there is a simpler, smarter, better way to to it.

Thoughts? How would you add wheels to this thing?
Hi Chris - Just a random thought from a wandering mind.
How about a couple of wheelbarrow wheels? Without putting a "shoe" on, just attach a pipe or rod through the legs for an axle. They are usually 8-12" in diameter so would mount next to the legs instead of underneath. With that diameter wheel, rolling resistance would be pretty low and uneven pavement should be less of an issue. Legs about 3" shorter allowing the wheel to support that end.
Not sure what the cost would be and not sure it would work. Never tried it.:blink:

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
I really like jschaben's idea. Bigger wheels for easier movement, though they might be harder to find "locking" wheels. If you get inflatable wheels, they may also flex too much with weight but I think some solid wheels in the larger diameter might be really nice. And mounting them would be significantly "cleaner".

·
John
3,028 Posts
I really like jschaben's idea. Bigger wheels for easier movement, though they might be harder to find "locking" wheels. If you get inflatable wheels, they may also flex too much with weight but I think some solid wheels in the larger diameter might be really nice. And mounting them would be significantly "cleaner".
Hi Frank - I wasn't thinking they would have to lock if they were just on the one end and don't swivel. I was thinking the legs on the non wheeled end plus the weight of the work bench and tools would be sufficient to keep it planted. :smile:

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought 4 of the double locking wheels. They were like $7 each. I also bought a 2x3. I am hoping to make the "shoes" tonight. More later.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Is solid pine as strong as ply?

For the shoes, I can use either 2x6 SPF, or I can cut and laminate the same dimension from hardwood ply. A 2x6 would be easier to with, and I am thinking that it would be strong for what I am doing with it, but I am not sure if cutting and gluing 2 pieces of 3/4" ply would result in a sturdier shoe or not.

Thoughts?

I have enough scraps of both the SPF And the ply, so either way, I won't need to buy anything.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up using the 2x6, at least for now. it is just screwed together as a proof of concept.

I also affixed the saw to the supports, also as a POC, but also just to keep it from falling off when I move it.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts