Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded some of my woodworking equipment. With my shop space diminishing I wanted to be able to move the equipment around when not it use. I looked at some of the mobile bases available. I have not been very impressed with the mobile bases I purchased in the past including strength and design. Most bases I ended up redesigning or welding the pieces together to increase rigidity. I have several tools that could use a mobile base so I decided to build my own.
My first idea was that it needed to be readily steerable, which most aren't. It needed to have a firm base and footing, be lockable in position, and compact. I looked at my boat trailer which needed a trailer dolly and decided to make double use of it. So, using 1" by 2" tubing, I fabricated the following mobile base trailer to go with a dolly I bought locally.

In the rear are two four inch urethane wheels. The welded joints are 45 degree so as not to need tube caps. This one is designed to fit a re-sawing band saw. You can see the trailer hitch and dolly. The hitch is mounted on an angle bracket which is in turn attached to the trailer with some 1/2" knobs that slide in a slot (shows how sure I was about my height calculations). The bracket is easily removable and attachable to other mobile bases.

I rattle can primed and painted it. If I do several I will spray it with HVLP gun.

Here it is shown with the band saw mounted. Notice to the front are two adjustable feet. At the rear are two knobs to lock the rear wheels. Once in place the hitch and bracket can be easily removed. This trailer was designed to accommodate the brake.
It worked fine and I intend to build more. The dolly will lift up to 600 lbs so there should be plenty of capacity.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
That's a great idea. I have looked for similar setups and all I ever found was a wood version that I didn't like as it includes having the wood base set directly on ground. Due to moisture coming through the concrete, that wouldn't work for me.

I wish I had your welding skills though. I have a Miller 212 welder & a Hypertherm 30 Plasma Cutter that I have only used like 10 hours combined since new in 2008.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a great idea. I have looked for similar setups and all I ever found was a wood version that I didn't like as it includes having the wood base set directly on ground. Due to moisture coming through the concrete, that wouldn't work for me.

I wish I had your welding skills though. I have a Miller 212 welder & a Hypertherm 30 Plasma Cutter that I have only used like 10 hours combined since new in 2008.
Welding is a funny thing, you have to work at it to get it down and if you leave it a while it takes a while to get the knack.

I had an old Airco buzz box that I donated. Even with my newer wire welder (Miller) and Tig (Thermalarc), I find myself wishing I had it back. I welded so many things with the old Airco I just knew it. Now I don't weld as much and it takes me a while to get everything set. My advice, just get some scrap metal and have at it.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Welding is a funny thing, you have to work at it to get it down and if you leave it a while it takes a while to get the knack.

I had an old Airco buzz box that I donated. Even with my newer wire welder (Miller) and Tig (Thermalarc), I find myself wishing I had it back. I welded so many things with the old Airco I just knew it. Now I don't weld as much and it takes me a while to get everything set. My advice, just get some scrap metal and have at it.

I never actually learned to weld other than 15 minutes with a buddy and his wire feed. I bought the welder & cutter when I came back from Iraq to help my brother work on his racecar. I welded okay, but I refused to weld anything that was a safety issue, like the roll gage of his seat belt mounts. Mainly did frame, bumper kind of stuff. He went from racing to being a crew chief and I'll bet I haven't touched it in 3 years.

I thought about selling it, but after looking at CL prices, I'll keep it. I'd rather keep it than give it away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts