Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help to find the best portable base for my 1980's Delta Unisaw Model #34-801. The existing base measures 20 1/4" x 20 5/8", so it would need to fit inside of the portable base.

Thanks for your responses to assist me on this need.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I forget the name of the company, but it's the main one, that had closeouts for sale cheap on their website. There were several pages of machines listed that they fit. Even if it wasn't for the specific machine listed, they gave the size. I bought several for different oddballs, and one for an old Unisaw with wide right table. I don't know if they still have any listed, but it's worth a look. If I'm remembering correctly, the price was something like 20% of (not off) current models.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking at the Delta 50-345. It comes as hardware only, and the user supplies his own hardwood framing. Therefore, the size can be made to meet each particular tool's requirements.

Anyone here ever use this model, and if so, what is your opinion?

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that one looks very similar to the one Delta has. Maybe several companies are now making one of this type.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a practically new HTC3000 mobil base HTC 3000 Heavy Duty Universal Adjustable Mobile Base with 700-Pound Capacity - Amazon.com that will fit the Delta just fine, if you are interested shoot me a PM. I modified it, trimmed one set of rails, so it would have a smaller 20 inch base to fit my Joinnter/Planer. It will not extend as much as a standard one but will work fine on the Delta. My J/P is 700 lbs, right at the limit for the HTC and I have to move it every time I use it so I decided to get a heavier base for it. I am not using it now so just let me know.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thanks, that one looks very similar to the one Delta has. Maybe several companies are now making one of this type.
with an important difference. the woodriver mobile base provides for creating a base the size of the tool's footprint using either one or two layers of 3/4" plywood. this makes for a much sturdier base than the rockler/delta "fabricate your own rails" mobile base. when i get around to it, i'll replace the POS HTC base that's under my 10-340 with the woodriver base.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
cey146 said:
Looking for some help to find the best portable base for my 1980's Delta Unisaw Model #34-801. The existing base measures 20 1/4" x 20 5/8", so it would need to fit inside of the portable base. Thanks for your responses to assist me on this need.
Where are you located? I have a mobile base for a unisaw for sale. When I built my shop and quit working out of my garage I no longer need the base.
Tom

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Keep in mind that Unisaws had two base sizes: One for the early cast iron plinth (the bottom part) and another for the later stamped steel plinth. If yours is an '80's model it should have the stamped steel plinth. I think the change was made in the '70's. My '79 is stamped steel.

If you get an adjustable mobile base this is a moot point. But if you get a custom-fit Unisaw base, you need to know which it fits.

Bill

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to each of you.

After reading the reviews on the different ones available.........I have decided to buy the Delta 50-345. One guy stated that he has 10 of this particular model, and is very pleased with the durability of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts