Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, now I have another question. I re-sanded 1/3 of my Pub Height Table which in the photo attached only shows the 3 coats of Gloss Espresso Polyshades (then buffed with 0000 steel wool) and applied 2 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Poly in Satin Sheen to the 1/3 of the table I had prepared for the Wipe-On Poly, I really do like the way it turned out; However, the Espresso Polyshades in Gloss was too glossy and the Satin Sheen Wipe-On Poly was not glossy enough. I am wondering now if I can mix a little bit of the Minwax Espresso Gloss Polyshades with the Minwax Satin Wipe-On Poly to get the exact sheen I am looking for?

Thanks for any input

Marg
Novice :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
26,214 Posts
If they are both oil based then yes you can mix them together. I would test a small spot and allow it to dry before doing the whole thing. Generally when mixing gloss with satin you mix about three parts gloss to one part satin to achieve a semi-gloss. If the color is alright now it will get a little darker with the mixture. You might be better off just using a semi-gloss clear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
HI Steve, I am going to try your suggestion but I am only going to add a ratio of 1 part Espresso Gloss Polyshades and 3 parts of the Wipe-On Poly. I don't mind the fact that it may get darker as my table is a very dark color anyway. I do like the Satin Sheen, but it is just a tad to dull for my liking and that is why I am just going to add a little of the Espresso Polyshades Gloss.

Hopefully it will turn out great and I have attached a photo of the 1/3 of the table that is done :wink2:

I will post another picture once I have this coat on

Thank you Steve

Marg

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts