Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a little garden bench out of cedar and bought some nice Spanish Cedar online for it. The thing is - it's rather expensive (shipping was 40 clams!) and I was hoping to use cedar from Home Depot/Lowes for the project (for the base and the back slats) too.

Now I'm wondering - is the Cedar from the big box'rs (western cedar I'm guessing) going to look nice when used in conjunction with this awesome Spanish Cedar I bought - or should I just bite the bullet and buy more Spanish cedar?

·
Registered
26,369 Posts
Spanish cedar has a more pronounced grain then western cedar. If you used it as two different species like making every other slat different it would probably look alright.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Spanish cedar has a more pronounced grain then western cedar. If you used it as two different species like making every other slat different it would probably look alright.
Interesting observation. My experience has been very strongly the exact opposite.

If you look at those two pages on my site you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
+1 Phinds. I've always found Spanish cedar to be very much grain neutral with a consistent, boring color. Not that it isn't nice, just not a lot going on there.

But if you're gonna mix em, you'll have to do it in a manner that makes it look intentional. It will be very obvious.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies - wonder if I shouldn't just paint them then - assuming I can't work out a decent looking pattern between the two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts