Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
I'm going to be making a few cross cut sled and a few other jigs and need mitre bars. I don't have a large supply of off cuts to use so I'm going to order some material from mcmaster carr. I'm thinking of get Impact-Resistant Slippery UHMW Polyethylene for the bars. Or aluminium. They are both the same price. Does anyone have any opinions? Thanks

·
7,222 Posts
Hi All,
I'm going to be making a few cross cut sled and a few other jigs and need mitre bars. I don't have a large supply of off cuts to use so I'm going to order some material from mcmaster carr. I'm thinking of get Impact-Resistant Slippery UHMW Polyethylene for the bars. Or aluminium. They are both the same price. Does anyone have any opinions? Thanks
For inexpensive mitre slot bars, buy a 2ft x 4ft piece of MDF and rip off 3/4in wide strips. Works well as long as they do not get exposed to moisture.

If you want to go with UHMW vs aluminium, I would go with aluminium - it is much stiffer. The UHMW alone can flex more than I would want in a mitre slot bar.

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Mine are made from some kind of plastic.
When I screwed them to the base of the sled the plastic squashed out bit.
I resolved it with a couple light passes with a hand plane.
If I make another I think I'll go with aluminum, or if using wood, I have some ash that seems quite stable.
..Jon..

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
I've used oak

in a number of sleds. Uusally because I have a lot of oak cut offs and its pretty stable. That is important here in the rain forest of Alabama

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
I use Incra miter bars also. Stable,won't swell and bind. Well worth the price and can be easily moved from jig to jig

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an FYI for other Ridgid, and I guess craftsman table saw owners. Ridgid mitre slots are exactly 0.75" and 0.75" bar stock will not fit.:thumbdown:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts