Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
"To slide...or not to slide?"...that is the question!

If you have a table saw (with eventual cross cut sled) does it make sense to spend the extra money on a sliding miter saw?

If not...with coupons and membership points I could get this for $61 +tax...thoughts?

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10in...p-00921236000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
Yes, it does make sense. Much easier to walk over to the sliding compound miter saw(scms) that get out the sled for the table saw.

George

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
It depends. You doing rough cuts or are you expecting precise miters? I can cut near perfect miters with my CMS but If I was doing boxes or frames or something that required perfect miters, I would definately opt for the TS and a cross cut sled. A sled changes the whole ball game. I built a super sled and I love it. Of course now Ill be modifying it to work on my new old TS. You should also take into account there is a bit of deflection with a slider. I love my miter saw for quick rough cuts but would never trust it for precise finish cuts. The saw you linked is similar to the one I have. Ive had it for years and its still going strong.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I don't know that I'd buy a 10 inch non slider.....its only going to cut like 6 inches wide or so.....I'd at a minimum buy a 12 inch non slider...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
"To slide...or not to slide?"...that is the question!

If you have a table saw (with eventual cross cut sled) does it make sense to spend the extra money on a sliding miter saw?

If not...with coupons and membership points I could get this for $61 +tax...thoughts?

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10inch-compound-miter-saw-21236/p-00921236000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
i'd seriously look at the ridgid 10" slider. with a 20% off harbor freight coupon, that saw could be gotten for $320. qualifies for ridgid's LSA.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Or you could go with the Harbor Freight 12" Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw.

There's a coupon out there to get it for $129.95

·
Registered
178 Posts
I guess it all really depends on what you are going to be doing with it. If you think you are going to make precise cuts with a scms you are sadly mistaken. But if you are just going to rough cut stock then I'd say go ahead with it. I don't use a slider anymore but my next saw will be a Omga RAS :) Which will be faster and safer than a cross cut sled also more accurate for larger panels.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CaptainMarvel said:
Or you could go with the Harbor Freight 12" Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw.

There's a coupon out there to get it for $129.95
Do you happen to have one? Like everyone else on the forum I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the HF power tools.

I decided to go with a slide and have been looking at either at the 10" Craftsman ($200) or the 10" Kobalt from Lowes ($180). Both slide and have single bevel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just wasted 2 hours researching sliders last night, I see people complaining about the same poor quality issues on all the saws I experienced 5 years ago when I last owned a miter saw. If I'm building a deck okay fine, but for fine woodworking nope.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Do you happen to have one? Like everyone else on the forum I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the HF power tools.

I decided to go with a slide and have been looking at either at the 10" Craftsman ($200) or the 10" Kobalt from Lowes ($180). Both slide and have single bevel.
Then you might be interested in this . . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts