Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I may have done an impulse buy...read the great reviews on the Dewalt DWS780 12" Miter saw and bought it.

However, most of my part time DIY projects will be probably some home furniture/cabinets/shelves etc.
We are putting in some laminate flooring in a few months time, so was hoping to use the saw for that (with the right blade).
Also, I am going to build a wooden deck probably in the new year ( and there may be some bigger pieces of wood to cut).

So probably, a 10" would have sufficed...but since I already unpacked it and cut a few pieces of wood (to calibrate it) - I do not believe I can return it (just read the store's return policy).

I am hoping someone here has a great argument (for my mind and pocket justification) as to why the 12" is such a great investment ;)

Cheers

·
That Guy
488 Posts
The first time you need to cut a 4x4 fence post you'll know why you needed a 12" saw, no more flipping the post to get all the way through.

Try cutting a 2x8 at 45 degrees with a 10" saw or any of the double angled cuts required for hip roofs.

Plus, you probably have a larger motor so there will be less chance of it binding up or kicking back due to being underpowered.

In the end, you can put a 10" blade on a 12" saw but not the other way around.

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts
Once you "go big" you never "go back"! Well, almost never. The smaller 10" saw is lighter and so easier to carry to a job site than the 12", but will you need to do that?
Radial arms saws are really heavy, but I took one apart and carried it up a scaffold to install cedar siding because that's all I owned at the time. A miter saw or "chop saw" would have been much easier. Now, I own RAS's, sliding miter saws 10" and 12" and a 10" miter saw. :)

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
I have a miter saw in a station that is not portable (~60#). For a trim job I wanted a lightweight, inexpensive miter saw and after some research settled on a Metabo 10”. Only to realize it would not cut the 4 1/4” base upright, so I had to do them in bevel mode - not fun!!

So yes, you made the right choice - in both brand and size 😁

·
Registered
Termite
5,389 Posts
I get by with a 10" almost all the time...

10" blade is cheaper.
When the 12" blade gets dull it flexes..

·
Registered
215 Posts
We have the same 12" dewalt that sits in the tool room that rarely gets used. The guys will grab the cheap Kobalt slider most times. However we're not cutting 4x4's or running 5" base to often, If we're running crown they will take it. Really depends on the work you do. I personally don't like big saws mainly because I don't like the "jerk" up when you hit the trigger. (and I'm so used to using sliders)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I bought a 10 inch Dewalt miter saw at a yard sale for $25. I am just a turner. I use it frequently for cutting spindle stock down. I get some pieces in 3x3 and 4x4 pieces 4 to 5 ft long. I have also needed to cut some trim when replacing the crappy fit the builders' employee did. (Most of the trim is expertly done, but they must have had an apprentice doing some of it. ) When I use the fine tooth blade on the miter saw, the ends are square enough to be just sanded and finished.

·
Registered
441 Posts
There aren't many downsides to the 12" saw

·
Registered
Termite
5,389 Posts
There aren't many downsides to the 12" saw
It depends on what you expect. I have used a incra a few times at the furniture shop , but I have never used a panel jig work or home. Whether you move a saw around a lot or not makes a difference. Thee are so many variables.

Being a professional I expect everything from my tool, and some.

A 10" works fine in the cabinet shop
A 12" works great for the trim carpenter, but a trim carpenter always hp has a slider in the truck..

Most cabinet, etc shops buy 12" to cover as much as possible. Price isn't that much more..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Because she said 10-inches isn’t enough. :eek:

I went between the 10-inch and 12-inch saw for about a month before I decided on the same saw you got. I’ve been kicking myself for not buying it years ago. A 12-inch saw just seemed like the best way to go over the 10-inch saw. No regrets.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I would have bought a 12" saw years ago but I could not find much variety in blades ( metals, plastics, woods).
So I went with a Delta 10. First job paid for the saw and then some.
Now, I even cut apple logs for the smoker BBQ with it.

Everybody above is 100% correct when they describe the advantages of those 2 extra inches of blade in big wood.
Again? I'd go 12", the variety of blades has opened up with more demand.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
We bought my spouse a 10 inch Craftsman miter saw for Mothers Day many years ago. If it goes bad someday, I will replace it with a regular 12 inch or a sliding 10 inch miter saw so we could cut 4x4 lumber in one pass, as well as cut wider boards. I wish we had bought the larger saw back then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I may have done an impulse buy...read the great reviews on the Dewalt DWS780 12" Miter saw and bought it.

However, most of my part time DIY projects will be probably some home furniture/cabinets/shelves etc.
We are putting in some laminate flooring in a few months time, so was hoping to use the saw for that (with the right blade).
Also, I am going to build a wooden deck probably in the new year ( and there may be some bigger pieces of wood to cut).

So probably, a 10" would have sufficed...but since I already unpacked it and cut a few pieces of wood (to calibrate it) - I do not believe I can return it (just read the store's return policy).

I am hoping someone here has a great argument (for my mind and pocket justification) as to why the 12" is such a great investment ;)

Cheers
Love this great saw! Yes, as above, try cutting anything thicker than 3" on a 10" saw, and you will be glad you have this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts