Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a complete newbie at woodworking, but I’ve take the project of trying to make my own picture frames. I’ve purchased picture frame molding, and have a dewalt miter saw to get my cuts. The issue I am having is measuring. How does one measure accurately enough to know where exactly to put the saw down?
For instance, if I want to make a 10x10 frame, I make a 45 degree cut on one end, and then on rabbet, measure ten inches, and this is where my other cut will need to be. Yet, I am measuring on the inside of the molding, so I need to turn it over to make my cut. I try making a mark at the edge of the rabbet, and then using a triangle, draw a 45 degree line. Then with the saw not on, I bring it down to line it up with the pencil line. I also line it up just to the side, so I am including the line in the molding, this way I am not losing any length from the width of the saw blade. Doing this is proving quite a challenge in getting the accurate length cuts so the pieces are all exactly the same length. I am hoping there is an easy way to measure and cut that I am not thinking of. My miter cuts seem to be accurate; it’s just determining exactly where to cut and getting the proper length.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is the first time I am using a miter saw, so my apologies if I sound very naïve.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
You are going about it the right way to get one side, to get the other side the same you need to set up a stop on the fence. Cut one end of each piece, now measure as you have been doing, when piece is in position set up the stop, now make you first cut on second end with piece against stop, then do second piece against stop. Don't try to set stop after making the cut on other end of first piece.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts