Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
Im pretty new in woodworking and power tools. My situation is this and hope someone can help me with it.
I bought a 12" Miter saw and I was cutting a piece of wood that is 5" high by 10" wide. Something weird happened and the saw stopped and the fence got broken. Lucky that I still had the guaranty I could get a new one. Now Im thinking that maybe the wood was too big for the saw thats why got broken or I was doing something wrong. My question is.
Whats the biggest piece of wood you can cut with a 12" miter saw? Or what do you think it could happened?

I will apreciate any help. Thank you and have a good day.

Chris.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Was the wood held tightly against the fence? What was the model of saw? Do you have any pictures of what broke?

·
Registered
209 Posts
That size wood is certainly better suited for a bandsaw. Your maximum cutting width should be in the specs of your saw, I'd guess 6-7 inches or so....but that is a guess.

Even with the oversized wood though, I can't imagine how you broke your fence. Brand of saw? Do you have pics?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The only issues I've had with a miter saw is not holding the workpiece secure enough. The blade grabbed the board and flipped it backwards, thereby bending the blade and the fence. I had to change my shorts after that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Miter Saw fence broken

Thank you guys. Well the saw is a chicago electric that I bought at harbor freight. I know that brand its pretty **** but it was at good price. At the moment Im not doing big things just doing lamps and small things because Im learning, Maybe in the future I will invest in a better saw.
As you mentioned I can see that the fence got broken because the wood wasn't secure agains the fence. It was a small but thick piece and I was scared to put my hand to hold the wood. Thats why I was thinking tht the wood was to big for the saw.
Im not sure if you can see the pic. These are the lamps Im making so you can see the cuts that I need to do. D you think I need to do it with anothe kind of saw like a band saw as Bleedinblue said?

Thank you somuch for your help.

Chris

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
So let's see if I have this right. The wood was 5" tall, 10" wide front to back, and very short left to right? That is one scary situation. So, #1, IMO Harbor Freight is a great place to buy things like gloves, tarps, and maybe a candy bar. But I'd stay away from their power tools. #2, that piece of wood sounds too small to hold on ANY saw, but a miter saw would probably be the most dangerous. A miter saw has an open area in the fence where the blade drops through. Perfect situation is when your board runs across both sides of the fence. But you can also cut if the board is only on one fence as long as the board is long enough to hold it tightly against that fence. And this is where I think you went wrong. Just how long, left to right was your wood?

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi everyone.
Im pretty new in woodworking and power tools. My situation is this and hope someone can help me with it.
I bought a 12" Miter saw and I was cutting a piece of wood that is 5" high by 10" wide. Something weird happened and the saw stopped and the fence got broken. Lucky that I still had the guaranty I could get a new one. Now Im thinking that maybe the wood was too big for the saw thats why got broken or I was doing something wrong. My question is.
Whats the biggest piece of wood you can cut with a 12" miter saw? Or what do you think it could happened?

I will apreciate any help. Thank you and have a good day.

Chris.
Hi Chris, check your owners manual. Max height is 3-1/2" and, if a slider, max width is 13. I use that saw for construction type work and it works pretty well on 4x4's, should work ok up to a 4x10 or 12 if one could lift a hunk up there. Not sure just exactly what you were doing. :blink:

·
Registered
336 Posts
At times.I have used a clamp to hold a piece of wood to the fence if it was dangerous to hold by hand. Also I have added an auxillry fence to my miter saw that is longer and taller then the factory fence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts