Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I make a lot of hyper-segmented bowls. 16, sometimes 32 pieces per ring. I set my factory miter gauge on 11-1/4 degrees, cut 16 pieces (scrap) and dry fit. Make minor adjustment, cut 16 more, make micro adjustment, etc. till I get it right. This can take 1/2 a day. THEN I need to cut something perfectly square. So....it takes less time to make another miter gauge than it does t re-set the first one. I did so and made it perfectly square. THEN I started making square bowls and need a perfect 45 degrees. I made another miter gauge and got it perfectly on 45 degrees. NOW I want to make some 6 sided bowls and need to cut 30 degrees. Not wanting to change any of the other gauges I decided to make another. Question. Have I gone slam dam miter gauge nuts, or do you folks think this is a fairly good idea?
Now my current problem. I have (had) a 3/4x8x12 piece of hickory.
Trued it up on the TS, ripped it to about 3-1/2 and 4-1/2 in pieces, ready for box joints. Using the shown box joint jig I set it up pretty
close with scrap pieces, then went to work on the hickory. The pictured results are my dilemma. The slots are 3/4" and the pins are
47/64". Pin #1 aligned, the rest get progressively worse out of alignment. Pin #7 is slightly more than 1/16" off. I can probably salvage the pieces and make the miter gauge. After all, it's not a piece of fine furniture.
Anticipated questions....
The box joint jig rides snuggly in the TS grooves. No slop.
The "key" is exactly 3/4".
I pushed the work pieces snug against the key and clamped them in place.
I have made many box joints successfully using this jig.
Advice and opinions welcomed.
DSCN0587.jpg
DSCN0583.jpg
DSCN0586.jpg

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
44 Posts
Box joints are so tough with homemade jigs. I spent 3-4 hours the other day only to have 5-6 boards that wouldnt match up with a homemade box joint jig. Could it be your key is either fractionally too small or large?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Looks like the dado stack is not as wide as the gap, or is too close to the gap.

BTW, you should go look at Charlie's segment cutter sled.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Box joints are so tough with homemade jigs. I spent 3-4 hours the other day only to have 5-6 boards that wouldnt match up with a homemade box joint jig. Could it be your key is either fractionally too small or large?

The key is exactly 3/4"

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the dado stack is not as wide as the gap, or is too close to the gap.

BTW, you should go look at Charlie's segment cutter sled.
Who is Charlie?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have concluded that 1 or more times I must not have had the work pieces in their proper perspective when making my cuts. Perhaps the clamp pulled them awry. Since the jig and dado blades are all correct it could only be human error. I salvaged the pieces and will have a fine 30* miter gauge in the end. Hickory and Purple Heart.

Jimmy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts