Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Older Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I make dog urns. They are small. roughly 7 3/4 x 5 3/4. I need to cut miters against the grain to join the pieces together. I built a miter sled for my table saw. When I make the cut, I always seem to get a slight curve in the middle edge of the piece. It doesn't occur if I cut with the grain. I use a block on the end to keep it from sliding. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

·
7,222 Posts
It sounds like the blade may be flexing with the end grain.

What size blade, make, number of teeth etc.

It should be possible to get clean straight cuts with the grain or end grain.

·
Registered
12,597 Posts
It sounds like the blade may be flexing with the end grain.

What size blade, make, number of teeth etc.

It should be possible to get clean straight cuts with the grain or end grain.
What would make it flex and then "unflex?" To make a bow/curve it would have to flex and then return to start position.

George

·
7,222 Posts
What would make it flex and then "unflex?" To make a bow/curve it would have to flex and then return to start position.

George
I have experienced this with thin kerf blades when I have not been making a full width cut, just shaving a piece to fit.

The wood offers more resistance in the middle.

·
Older Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Dave for your insight. It seems since I built the miter sled, I have greatly reduced the curve. To answer your previous questions, I am using an older model Ridgid TS 3650 table saw, with a 50 tooth Freud blade. I have posted some pic's. The piece with the gap is before the sled. The straighter cut is after the sled. I also have a picture of the sled itself. Hopefully, I can continue to get straight cuts. The minor chip out I figure is due to using Red Oak, due to its loose grain.
Pictures are here. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/members/musher-man-20296/albums/miter-cuts/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts