Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just finished making a wooden panel for a triptych I am about to gild and paint. As you can see from the attached photos, the body is made from lime wood and there are a pair of doors, made from quarter sawn oak. These three panels have then been gessoed and then re-carved and polished to a very high degree - ready for water gilding and painting in traditional egg tempera.

I was happy with my work... until I realised that, if I were to fit the hinges, the doors will not be able to open! This is because of their shape and thickness.

What are my options? Is there a special hinge I can use? Help!

Thank you so much for any ideas

Attachments

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
What hinges were you planning to use that will not work? Why will they not work?

Is there any problem with using exposed hinges?

What criteria must the hinges meet?

George

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi George. Thanks so much for your reply.

The problem is that the sides of of the semi arch on the door collide with the sides of the arch on the main body. There is not enough room between them. i have attached a picture to try and explain. I hope it does.

I was planning on using ordinary brass hinges, inset into the sides of the doors and main body.

There is no problem with exposed hinges. The main criteria is that they allow the doors to be opened and closed and that, when open, the doors are held fairly close to the main body.

Perhaps this problem would be solved if I used hinged that had a bit of play in them?

Thanks for your thoughts

Attachments

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
I think that I know what you need. The same hinge that I have on my bar. I will try to find picture/source for you.

George

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
A hinge won't help you. You need to remove the trim from the arch or the door and put more space between them. I had the same problem when I made a grandfather clock. I had to cut it apart and redesign the thing to make it work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that would a great help... I look forward to seeing it. Is it to hand, or will it take a few days? Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks George... looks interesting. However, I think the only good solution is to make the doors much thinner and then re-gesso :-( Lesson learnt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts