Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I'm retired, but now working part time at a small woodworking shop running a CNC router. I'm now doing 2 of my favorite things, woodworking and computers all rolled into one job, lotsa fun.

I belong to several forums and this one seems especially good (plenty of good info and adults acting like adults:smile: ). I'll try to participate when I have someting to offer, the rest of the time I'll read and learn....Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Howdy; I'm retired too (no wait, just tired)! Yes it is nice to see well behaved adults in a forum for a change. I am located in the NW so just about as far as I can be from there. There is no way that I could take all that heat and humidity down there. I would like to get some of that hardwood that seems to grow all over the place down there. Seems like that stuff is a common as pine trees up here.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, lotsa hardwood, of course we call it....firewood:laughing: . I've been in and out of woodworking over the years (too darn many hobbies), but I've been thinking about cuttting/drying my own wood for my projects. I just bought a new Stihl chainsaw, with a longer bar and an attachment or two I think I could save myself a bunch of money on wood. OK....add that to my list:smile:

·
Registered
96 Posts
cutting my own wood

Mike, we do have a lot of hardwood but not all of it is good. I took a post oak to a sawmill and I thought I would get enough to make something. This tree was the ugliest wood ever. BUT, I have taken some logs to the sawmill and he gets them to where I can handle them on my bandsaw. Mostly I like quartersawn white oak. I have the makings for a solar kiln in my backyard and just not enough time to build it. I just sprayed a pair of night stands and a piano bench tonight with lacquer. Tomorrow final assembly and maybe get paid on Friday, and this is my hobby and I love it. Mike welcome to the forum and if you're ever over my way stop in and say hi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Mike,
Welcome to the site:thumbup: .This is a real informative site.Congrats on your retirement.Ididn't notice what area you're in,I'm in the Clearwater lake area.If ya ever go floatin' down here and hear banjos PADDLE FASTER:laughing: .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts