Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to finishing this after spending too much time doing paid work for other people.

Design is loosely based off of the Woodsmith mission coffee table plans, although I wanted drawers, no lower shelf, and my wife didn't like the arched sides and tapered legs.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Wow I love that top! Talk about character!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I like how you arranged the different grains on the top. Very nice style too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. It's certainly not perfect, but I am pretty damn happy with the way it came out.

Landman: What I did was to pick one board for the drawer fronts/front rail, and then rip a 3/4" strip off of the top and off of the bottom. From there, I did enough math to figure out what I wanted the center between the drawer fronts to be, and the width of the drawer fronts, and cross cut them from the remaining center piece. The drawer fronts also needed 1/16" taken off on all sides to account for the gap. Then you glue the two 3/4" strips and the vertical pieces together again, using the drawer fronts and pennies (roughly 1/16" thick) as guides. Match up the grain and you're good. I planed it with a hand plane and cleaned it up with sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Beautiful table! I'm a sucker for walnut, and the way you did those drawers looks really good. Thanks for explaining how you did that.

Everyone always mentions accounting for wood movement when it comes to tabletops. I'm assuming that the peg holes are elongated on the tongue of the top panel?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Beautiful table! I'm a sucker for walnut, and the way you did those drawers looks really good. Thanks for explaining how you did that.

Everyone always mentions accounting for wood movement when it comes to tabletops. I'm assuming that the peg holes are elongated on the tongue of the top panel?
Correct. The breadboard end is only glued on the center board. The rest is free floating. I elongated the 2 outer holes to allow for movement. To attach the table top, I used figure 8 fasteners so that it will move with the wood.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts