Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this bed right after Thanksgiving. I never thought I would finish it in time to give it to my wife for Christmas. It is all cherry finished with shellac sprayed on. This is the first project I have built from a set of plans (Fine Woodworking) and I slightly modified them to fit our mattress/box spring. This is a queen size (fits a 60" x 80" mattress set).

Furniture Product Bed Bed frame Property

Product Furniture Bed Infant bed Floor

Product Wood Handrail Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm sure she will love it!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Very nicely done!

After she sees it you'll probably get an order for a couple of night stands, a dresser or two and anything else she needs to complete your bedroom set.

·
where's my table saw?
29,605 Posts
Great job

I wouldn't have thought of using Cherry, but it looks great. :thumbsup:

How did you secure the slats? Are they in a continuous groove with little spacers OR did you make individual mortises? :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can be very proud. It looks fantastic. Your wife can be proud too. Hand made custom furniture is so special. It has that emotional ingredient that isn't available at stores.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't have thought of using Cherry, but it looks great. :thumbsup:

How did you secure the slats? Are they in a continuous groove with little spacers OR did you make individual mortises? :eek:
The slats are in a continuous groove with continuous spacers. It really worked pretty slick.
The first pic shows all of the spacers which fit into the groove on the rails.
There are two spacers per rail, separated by the 4" vertical board in the center of the headboard/footboard.
I did not glue in the spacers until final assembly so that everything would pull in nice and tight.

Wood Floor Metal
Wood Hardwood Floor Table Machine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts