Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Twokamprs
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being the rookie woodworker that I am, I made the fatal mistake of applying Minwax Wood Finish stain to Maple without first applying pre-stain conditioner. I actually applied a second coat of stain with no better results than the first: extreme uneven absorption. It look horrible. My question is: Is the maple now sealed enough from the two coats of Wood Finish stain that I can, or should, apply Minwax Gel Stain (more opaque than Wood Finish) directly to the twice-stained wood with more even absorption, or do I still have to apply pre-stain conditioner first? I have always used Minwax and would prefer to stay with Minwax. Thanks a bunch in advance for your kind help to this rookie. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
27,767 Posts
It's too late for the wood conditioner. Depending on what it looks like you might put some gel stain on the light places and then put a second uniform coat over the whole thing. If you think that would be too dark then perhaps you should use some paint and varnish remover and strip as much of the stain out of the wood as you can and start over.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You might be able to take a rag and mineral spirits and wipe it down, I almost bet money the second coat is just sitting on top of the first coat. Once you wipe it down, you should be able to go with the gel stuff. I use minwax quite a bit, if you put two coats, you can't let the first one dry completely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts