Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello friends.......I have a 36" round , wood table top that I have applied oil based Minwax stain on and I'am applying Oil Based Minwax fast drying Polyurethane , clear semi-gloss on for the top coat. I am using a 4 inch foam applicator to brush on the polyurethane. I have now applied 3 coats of poly , with giving each coat 24 hours to dry before the next coat, and I have lightly sanded ( with 320 ) the poly between each coat and blown and wiped down the surface with tack cloths . It's looking good . How many coats is advisable in this case ? Should I go for 4 coats or is 3 good ? The table top will be used for my friends dinette eating table. I don't want to apply to many coats . Also......after the last coat what is a good amount of time for the surface to cure and or harden before I can give it back to my friends ? And... with what and how should I buff out the surface after it is hard ? Sorry for the long post . Thanks George in cent Fla.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I think 3 coats will be sufficient.
It’s hot in central Florida so your drying time should be fast. I’d wait for 24 hours after the 3rd coat to rub it out. I now rub my finishes out using an automotive rubbing compound. I use DuPont.

Reactions: Chumly
1 - 2 of 2 Posts