Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I applied oil based MinWax wood conditioner on some mahogany veneer. Then I applied some water diluted TransTint dye. The dye beaded up a bit although the end result was okay. I only waited about 3 or 4 minutes for the wood conditioner to set before I wiped it off and applied the dye. Perhaps that caused the beading.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Gary

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
You put water over oil - it's going to bead and not permeate terribly well. Either apply the dye first or tint dewaxed shellac and apply as a tinting finish.

All of my staining is done with alcohol / water soluble metal-complex aniline dyes from Lockwood in NY. I either spray alcohol or water or for blotchy woods I seal with shellac and apply tinted shellac or lacquer.

·
Registered
26,208 Posts
If you are going to mix the transtint with water it would be better to use a water based wood conditioner. Had you mixed the transtint with methanol it would have worked better with the oil based conditioner. Mahogany is not a wood that generally need a conditioner anyway. You also have to be careful using water based products with red stains. They often use iron oxide in pigments and it doesn't react well with water. With Minwax Polycrylic they specifically say not to use it with red stains.

·
Rick Mosher
1,010 Posts
I never use a wood conditioner or wash coat before dye stain but then I always spray dye stain on blotch prone wood and if you use the proper technique and don't allow the dye to puddle you never get blotching. If I was going to use a wiping stain over the dye I would use a wash coat after the dye and then apply the wiping stain.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You put water over oil - it's going to bead and not permeate terribly well. Either apply the dye first or tint dewaxed shellac and apply as a tinting finish.

All of my staining is done with alcohol / water soluble metal-complex aniline dyes from Lockwood in NY. I either spray alcohol or water or for blotchy woods I seal with shellac and apply tinted shellac or lacquer.

Thank you for the input. I should have realized that the water / oil mix would not work well. I have never tried a tinting finish approach and this is something that I will test for this project.

Gary

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are going to mix the transtint with water it would be better to use a water based wood conditioner. Had you mixed the transtint with methanol it would have worked better with the oil based conditioner. Mahogany is not a wood that generally need a conditioner anyway. You also have to be careful using water based products with red stains. They often use iron oxide in pigments and it doesn't react well with water. With Minwax Polycrylic they specifically say not to use it with red stains.
Thanks, Steve.

I don’t have methanol so I can’t easily test that.

If I use a water based wood conditioner how long will I have to wait before top coating with an oil based wipe on poly?

I am staining in a medium to dark brown so I should be okay on the color concern.

Gary

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never use a wood conditioner or wash coat before dye stain but then I always spray dye stain on blotch prone wood and if you use the proper technique and don't allow the dye to puddle you never get blotching. If I was going to use a wiping stain over the dye I would use a wash coat after the dye and then apply the wiping stain.
Rick, thank you for the feedback. I am using a dye stain over a wood conditioner because when I tested without the wood conditioner the result looked awful. This project has caused me considerable grief over the last month or so and I am still testing to find out what will work properly. Unfortunately I do not have any spray capability.

Gary

·
Registered
26,208 Posts
Thanks, Steve.

I don’t have methanol so I can’t easily test that.

If I use a water based wood conditioner how long will I have to wait before top coating with an oil based wipe on poly?

I am staining in a medium to dark brown so I should be okay on the color concern.

Gary
Well Gary I've never used a water based wood conditioner. I would think all you would have to do is let the water dry out of it. In this weather that should be just a couple of hours. I would refer to the directions and go by that if it's hot and dry there. If the weather is damp you should probably give it longer. When winter comes you will probably have to give it a lot longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts