Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm Esom from Minneapolis. I'm a complete novice but I'm slowly learning the tricks :)

Any advice and places to look for info or demonstrations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just joined too. What I can tell you is the best place to get lumber around here is Youngblood's on Central just north of Broadway.

http://www.youngbloodlumber.com/

Look up the Minnesota Woodworkers Guild site and join - costs $30 a year. Show that card at Youngbloods and you get the wholesale price. It also gets you discounts at Rockler and Hirschfields. Also a couple other places I can't recall.

Youngbloods has the best selection and plenty of stock. A good place to get cutoffs (up to 4' long) is Forest Products Supply on Hwy 61 and County Rd. C in Maplewood. Their a millworks shop that has LOTS of them which they sell as cheap as $1 bf at times. They're a working shop so if you go there just walk into the shop door off the parking lot And the cutoff racks will be on your immediate right. They're all busy working so if you see something you like just grab someone and tell them you want to buy it. they have deals on buy a whole "section" of a rack. Overall higher priced than Youngbloods bu they do have a few things others don't. I never get wood at Rockler - too high priced.

The best learning tools I've found are the woodworking forums on the net. Takes a little more time to just cruise them and pick things up, but it's all practical hands-on stuff with lots of experience behind it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts