Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing with minatures almost since I first started turning. Now I'm on a quest to turn a really really small goblet. Here is a photo of my latest attempt. The smallest is less than 1/16" or a little over 1mm tall. I have made new small tools and should be able to go smaller than this when I get the time to do it. You kind of have to be in a certain frame of mind to do this and I've been a little busy lately.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Very impressive John. You should put some pictures in your gallery here so people can see more of your work. I think you are a little smaller than miniature...those are micro turnings :thumbsup:. I played around with small turning once, all your things in that picture would fit in one of my little bowls with room to spare. Again, very cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe when I get really small I'll try to turn a matching set. Then you'll have to put me in a straight jacket and rubber room.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Then you'll have to put me in a straight jacket and rubber room.
I would have already been there trying to make what you did. They (the fellers in white coats) just have not caught up with you yet, those are "insanely small" :laughing:.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brodie No the dental tools are too big and too flexible. These were turned with some modified Jewelers screwdrivers. I have made a new set from .030" piano wire and plan to make some smaller goblets when I get time. Hopefully that will be real soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts