Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Beautiful work Art. Makes my clunky fingers hurt just to think about making them!!!!!

·
Gold Coast. OZ
618 Posts
Woh! I am impressed. Just noticed this thread. I have been busy with other things for awhile but have some time available now for a few weeks at least.

We have a lady at our Wood Club who has a passion for Doll Houses and furniture. She was given a large older doll house which she wants to renovate, tear some walls down and put new ones up.

All the guys here are power tool junkies which is good for building a doll house, not much help in renovating though. looks like I am the only hand tool guy who can help her.

I have had to make some hand tools that are functional, at best, and do the job and I would have killed for that plane you made. We have to remove some walls and put insome dadoes and I sort of cobbled together an Old Woman's toothing plane.

------

I know nothing about Miniature tools and miniatue wood work but because I have said I will help her with this Doll's House and furniture I better learn real quick.

Do you use those tools for real wood work or are they for show. Maybe you might be able to tell us the advantages of miniature tools over the more standard size ones, when doing miniatures.

Also, is their somewhere you can point me to so I can improve my knowledge. This is a facinating project,

Pete

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks Mike. So that might be why my fingers hurt all the time? Or it may be cuz I bumped and ground em so much when I was working full scale. :yes: Ralph

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks Pete. Hope you can find some time to make sawdust for a while. Initially I built some small tools to aid me in my model airplane building interests, and they worked out very well for me. Seems that every time I had a special new job to do, I first built a special tool to assist, and ultimately, I ended up making new miniature tools between flight projects till it became my primary interest, and now I use my miniature tool collection to construct miniature furniture, etc.

Just jump in and learn by doing. Some of us learned much by finding ways to hide our mistakes. Lots can be learned by assisting with the repairs of the doll house, etc. Some specialty tools can be forund in most hobbie stores. I've used some, but now build my own mostly for aesthetic purposes. Ralph

·
Gold Coast. OZ
618 Posts
Thanks for the reply Art.

Would it be possible to show some of your Miniature furniture. I have been making toys for Grandson and now I have a new grand daughter girls seem harder to cater for.

Because I am almost retired and do not need to build anything large, except, maybe some home renovations and running repairs, small suits me.

Looking forward to your continuing involvement with this forum, We have a project section in which I know the guys there would be fascinated by your Miniature Tools and w-i-p and finished furniture.

Dont want to drag you away from the hand tool section, because this is the place to show them, but I am sure the guys in the project area will be blown away especially, Kenbo and Buggyman who have quite inventive minds when they run into a problem and just cobble up a solution.

Pete

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Pete. I'll try to post pics of some of the miniature furniture that I've built in the project area also. Ralph

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Holy crap, guys... I just checked out some more of Art's videos on YouTube. I swear, you all HAVE TO check out some of the other miniatures he's made. I swear they will absolutely floor you.

Art, you are a craftsman of the highest order! Your work is beyond words. I am absolutely blown away by your skills and talent. You are a master in every sense of the word. And even that description may fall short of describing your talent and your work. I am truly honored to be in your virtual presence. You have my utmost respect as a craftsman. :notworthy:

Seriously, guys. Take some time and go see his other videos. You will NOT be disappointed. I promise you. :eek:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi!
Beautiful work :icon_smile:!
As wood patternmakers by trade, we appreciate your attention to detail!!!!!!
Keep it up :smile::smile::smile:!
Best,
Marena and Vinny

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Steve, Thank you. I appreciate the acolades you ascribe to me, but I assure you that the pleasure to be among such exceptional craftsmen and artisans as on this forum is all mine. Much of what I know I have gleaned here. I do invite all to visit my YouTube channel: by Art Rafael under miniature tools, miniature hand made wood planes, and miniature solenoid engine. Ralph

21 - 35 of 35 Posts