Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
25 years ago, I got the plans for this "Mini Indy II" Go Kart from Popular Mechanics. I buillt the body since it was a wood working project but I never got around to finishing the "Hardware" and Mechanicals. I think my Son probably still is very dissapointed in his Dad for that. I recently found the old plans in a box and am thinking about trying this project one more time for my two grandsons. Total cost's for the Kart should be approx. $500 dollars. I'll have to see if I can sell some Projects to get the money together to buy the Hardware. I promised myself I would NOT start this project until I had ALL the materials, Wood, Hardware, and Mechanicals in the shop and ready to go. That way I'll be ensured that I can Finish it this time.:thumbsup:

This is a picture of what a completed Mini Indy II should look like. I hope mine will look this good. Hopefully I can get started this fall.

I don't think the plans are available any longer from Stevenson Projects, so if anyone else is interested in building one of these, I could supply you with a copy of the plans.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
How cool is that!

We have a little boy join the family recently.

Last night I had the pleasure of watching him zoom his matchbox collection around the coffee table.

IMG_20130405_233625.jpg

He's probably a little young yet but that gives me time.

I'd love to have the plans!

PM on the way!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Laughing!

When I was a kid we didn't have wheels!

Reactions: abetrman

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That's a great project, looks fast. Kids today have it pretty good. When I was a kid we had snap on skates to our sneakers, and a skate key on a cord that we wore like a necklace.

When I was a kid we were transitioning our snap on skates into skate boards.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you send me a PM with you Private E-mail address, I'll send you a Link to my SkyDrive where you can download a set of the plans!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't seem to find the PM feature. The closest is the Visitor Message on your user page, which displays to the public.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grubby,
Click on my name "MissionIsMyMission" and you'll see where it says "Send a Private Message to MissionIsMyMission". Click on that and you can send me a message. Make sure and include your Private email address and I'll email you a link to my SkyDrive where the plans are stored.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
With JavaScript enabled, it only gives me the options of viewing your profile, finding more of your posts, or adding you as a contact. Without JS, like before, I go directly to your user page, where the Private Message option is nowhere to be found. Perhaps because I'm new, it won't allow me to contact members. Would you mind trying to contact me that way instead?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, no reply from the administrators yet about how to get it to work or if it's simply my new user status. So, I edited the Visitor Message that I'd previously left on your profile. You can find my contact information there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, thanks for the clarification, Duncancruiser. And thanks, MissionIsMyMission, as I just got the link and the plans look quite detailed. Now, what do you think the differences are between the Mini-Indy I, II, and the upcoming III?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That's a great project, looks fast. Kids today have it pretty good. When I was a kid we had snap on skates to our sneakers, and a skate key on a cord that we wore like a necklace.

When I was a kid we did the same thing, and you had better watch out for the cracks in the side walk which caused a lot of cut knees. We also took the skates apart and fastened them to a board with an orange create in the front with a handle on top of the create and made scooters. Remember the fake light was a tin can nailed to the front.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mini Indy

That's a neat indy racer. It looks like an improved version of the one my buddy built from plans he got from PM back in the 70's. As I remember it used tires from a small airplane. I seem to remember that it took a while to get going but would do about 45 mph. Maybe that was downhill. I always wanted to build one but never had the chance. I'd love a copy of the plans if you have them available. Thanks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Have you sourced the engine yet? Just wondering where you intend to get it and how much that might run. I may start on this sooner than expected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
By the way, based on the figures I saw online, the dollar is about 1/5 of what it was back in 1973. So, assuming the parts didn't get all that much cheaper to produce, the cost of the Mini-Indy would really be about $1,500. :( Too rich for me, unfortunately. If I'm going to spend that kind of dough, I'll be putting it into a CycleKart first, then maybe a Mini-Indy sometime down the road.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Grubby, you're way off on your costs. Your wood and hardware costs for the body will run approx $100 @ todays prices. You can get a 6 hp Horizontal Shaft Motor on sale @ Harbor Freight for around $125. Go Kart Brakes, Clutch and Throttle parts will run $200 new but I bought a Old Go kart frame with wheels and tires for $50 bucks on craigslist so I can scavenge a lot from that. If you're creative you can get er dun for less than $500 in my humble opinion.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts