Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a mini circular saw. I saw the Dremel Saw Max but while I am usually a Dremel fan, I thought the Versacut had better features. Do people agree or disagree with that?

Are there other brands I should consider? I freely admit that I like getting the "cadillac" of tools...I have little hesitation to buy something more expensive if it is better. I usually buy Makita, Bosch, and other quality names--I would like to get top of the line with this saw as well.

Any recommendations or experiences are appreciated!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I wasn't familiar with those so I checked them out.

I'm curious about how you plan to use it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the immediate task is that I need to go around my floor and shorten my base molding by 1/2" before laying tile. I figure it will do that job nicely. I'm certain there will be many other uses....like most tools, you buy them for one thing and you find 20 other uses for it.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
SMLWinds said:
Well, the immediate task is that I need to go around my floor and shorten my base molding by 1/2" before laying tile. I figure it will do that job nicely.
Have you thought about leaving the base trim alone, installing the tile up to the trim, and then adding a 1/2" or 3/4" quarter round? Thats what I did after my flooring was installed. Much easier and turned out very nice. I prepped and painted the quarter round before installing it with a pneumatic nailer and doing touch up.

Mark

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Or just pull the base and reinstall after tile.

If you plan on painting the base as part of the project its a heck of a lot easier to pre paint it on saw horses before reinstalling it than working at floor level.

Also if you tile up to it your going to lose a half inch of base height which IMO diminishes the aesthetic.

How tall is your base now?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts