Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im buildin a bar top outa solid 8/4 maple. Most all of it went together very nicely, but i could'nt squeeze all of the gap outa a couple spots as much as i woulda liked. Was lookin to find out what kinda filler you guys use to reacheive a flawless look. I'll be putting a tongue oil on it for finish.

ForumRunner_20140112_163737.jpg

·
Registered
994 Posts
I dry clamp to find gaps before ever spreading any glue. If I see a gap the clamps won't pull out then I take the boards out and join them until they fit perfectly. Never use a filler.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
glue joint gaps

They are best not filled. JMO :blink:
A clear epoxy that will not appear as a filler would be my choice, especially if you intend to put a Bar Coat Epoxy finish on it. Fillers that are lighter in color will stand out like a bad mistake trying to get concealed.

What is your intended top coat?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Im buildin a bar top outa solid 8/4 maple. Most all of it went together very nicely, but i could'nt squeeze all of the gap outa a couple spots as much as i woulda liked. Was lookin to find out what kinda filler you guys use to reacheive a flawless look. I'll be putting a tongue oil on it for finish.

View attachment 86843
this is the best wood filler i use that one in a while, you can get in the color you want, it takes a stan , most fillers don't, why don't you use a bar expoxy on the bar top, tongue oil doesn't add much sealer and finish or protection ?? looks nice

http://www.findanyfloor.com/FlooringManufacturers/Timbermate.xhtml

1 - 5 of 5 Posts