Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, newb here.

This may sound like an odd question but is there anything like a metal lathe x-y cutter holder that fits or can be fitted to a mini wood lathe? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to do high precision wooden headphone cups that need specific OD, ID and depths of cuts. The outsides are just turned smooth as normal once the OD is set.

I'm reasonably good at getting more or less what I want measuring and eyeballing it, however, a milling jig would make life much quicker and more precise. This is the sort of thing...

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5660/dsc8312g.jpg

Any ideas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the tube bases don't get too hot as they're either plastic or micanol, just the glass gets toasty. There's also a small 1/8" gap all the way around the tube bases and the steel mesh is fully perforated and acts like a big heatsink so the wood plates don't get hot, just warm. Most of the heat flows around them and because the case is an 'exploded' design there is a lot of free air circulation.

The smaller amp is running a set of honking big heat sinks from a PC at it's rear end and the tubes don't directly contact the wood.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go to www.use-enco.com or www.mscdirect.com and look for Milling tables, cross feed tables, and crossfeed vice. With the milling tables you will need a method of holding the tools.
You might be able to find the parts on ebay by looking for lathe or mill cross feeds.
Thanks.

Part of the problem I'm finding is that the average cross vice or compound table is too big and usually too tall. The metal lathes have small compact tables with in-built tool holders which is what I'm hoping to find. I already have a cross-vice that's too big and a proxxon mini milling table that would probably break if I tried it on spinning block.

I wasn't expecting to find it so I'll probably have to jerry rig something and hopefully not lose an eye in the process :huh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts