Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am a drum builder, Ive made drum shells from Birch ply for lots of years. I have recently started making wooden Tom and Snare Hoops. Bass hoops are common and easy to make. As are tom and snare, however, Snare hoops require a gate machined into them to allow the snare wire to pass through it to attach to the shell.......my question is...

I dont have a milling machine, is there any other way of putting a gate, say 70mm long, 10mm wide, 8mm deep into a wood hoop? Is there a bit for a table router which would work?

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
ACD,

Welcome to the club. I don't build them, I do play them. I think if I were in your position I would farm this out to someone with a CNC router. You would be suprised at how affordable the rates have become since the prices of the software/hardware packages have come down so low themsleves, alot of guys have them in their garage even that you drive by and don't even know about.
In fact, you could probably add one to your own business after a while.

It is possible to set up a RAT type system to mill them in house, but in the meantime you could be having them milled cheap I bet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts