Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere along the line I acquired a Millers Falls Drill Brace. It's a No. 732-10 inch. It has a ratcheting action. It seems like a nice, heavy, well made tool. It functions as a dust collector in my shop. Does anyone know if it's worth offering up for sale?

·
Registered
104 Posts
IF it's in nice to very nice condition -- it may fetch somewhere between 15 and 40 dollars (tops)
Mint in the box is a different story

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IF it's in nice to very nice condition -- it may fetch somewhere between 15 and 40 dollars (tops)
Mint in the box is a different story
It's in good shape, but it was used by someone. No box. Sounds like no one will be looking to complete a collection or anything, so it'll probably get hung on the shop wall as a decoration. Maybe a charity auction donation.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Pick up the hex-shank adapter from Veritas. Sooner or later you'll need to drive a big screw or bolt and the battery for your cordless drill will be dead. I've actually found that I prefer a brace to a drill/driver for some things; I've got more torque and more control of depth, and it can get closer to a wall than the electric drill can. The adapters are less than $10, and they may turn that wall decoration into a tool you use a few times a year.

·
7,222 Posts
I have two braces with different countersink drill bits in each one. I find when I need to countersink for a screw, the brace is fast and gives me better control than a power tool. They are not used often, but I love having them on hand when needed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Your missing a treat not using it.

And thanks Dave, for that tip on the counter sinks...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you have a good working brace and some sharp augers handy, you'll reach for it more than you would have anticipated. They work cleaner and with more control, especially for large holes.

·
Woodworking Wanderer
216 Posts
There's nothing like feeling the vibration of an auger bit rise through the brace as it rips through each layer of grain...or maybe it's just me...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts