Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Millers Falls No 9 in the mail today. Not in too bad a shape under all the rust and this being my 2nd restore I am going to try EvapoRust on this one so I can make up my own mind which process of rust removal I like best, electrolysis or EvapoRust bath. Here's a before shot:

Now a picture of what prompted this post....................:eek:

Is it just me or is there a little something wrong with this? :laughing:

·
7,222 Posts
I have had planes with the blade backwards. One looked like it had been backwards for years - like your plane.

Evaporust and oxaclic acid (aka wood bleach) both work about the same, and will not harm the paint. Oxalic acid is a lot cheaper, but takes a bit longer.

Which ever method you use, it is worthwhile to clean up the metal first to remove gunk / grime which the solutions will not touch, so rust underneath would remain.

Both solutions benefit from exposing the rust. Scrap off or give quick pass with wet-dry paper to knock off high spots.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the metal pieces in the bath about 20 minutes and then removed everything and hit it with 220, rinsed it off with clean water and put everything back in the solution. I can see that it's already working. I'll check on the progress around bedtime. Exciting stuff! :smile:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, about 3 and a half hours in the EvapoRust and all the rust is gone. The paint was unharmed and looks OK. I've got to say it worked faster than electrolysis if that's a consideration. Much more expensive, but faster. It probably comes down to the application which process to use. I'm glad I tried it and gained the experience. Thanks for the tips.

Here is the blade and chip-breaker after 3 1/2 hours in EvapoRust bath. As you can see, the rust is completely gone. However, the metal just seems dull & "lifeless" to me. I'll try to brighten them up with buffing or polishing some way.

·
johnep
2,125 Posts
I cannot see the pics or o link to them. Always interested in saw blades My handyman was cutting ply yesterday and did not support it properly. Nice scor mark o the patio!.
johnep

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,473 Posts
I cannot see the pics or o link to them. Always interested in saw blades My handyman was cutting ply yesterday and did not support it properly. Nice scor mark o the patio!.
johnep
8 year old post John.. That may explain the lack of working images..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts