Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's my first project. There were bumps, bruises, and a few minor cuts and scrapes along the way, but here it is. This is for a MSgt that is going to retire next week from my office. She gave me a picture of what she wanted and I made it. Not the best, not the worse, and certainly a bigger project than I thought, but I'm happy with it and the lessons I learned!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
:thumbsup: Man, thats pretty nice.
That would make any veteran proud.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!

Thanks. It will look great with the other statue in the other side, the center filled up and the big cotton flag on top. I handed it off to the rest of the office to complete the minor details. I feel I did enough by myself already and the other guys need to wrap up the small details of putting the badges in and so on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
stick, very nice. What did you use for the lighting in the box? I got started in woodworking building a shadow box for a friend's uncle who passed away. I too didn't think it would be that big of project. Before I knew it, I had many hours in that box. I caught "wood fever". I never thought I would enjoy woodworking as much as I do. I am only one year into this wood stuff and I'm a sponge searching for knowledge from the pros, guy next door, or whoever. Great project for a great cause. Hope you don't catch the fever as bad as I did!

·
Saw Dust Club Member
461 Posts
Great job Stick. I am a novice military memorabilia display maker too. I think all of us are our worst critics because we know where all our flaws are. The display looks great and know that the person on the receiving in thinks its the best ever made. I have tried to make a run at turning my efforts into a business but get more enjoyment doing one a kind projects for special folks I have worked with over the years. Keep up the good work.

·
Saw Dust Club Member
461 Posts
Great job Stick. I am a novice military memorabilia display maker too. I think all of us are our worst critics because we know where all our flaws are. The display looks great and know that the person on the receiving in thinks its the best ever made. I have tried to make a run at turning my efforts into a business but get more enjoyment doing one a kind projects for special folks I have worked with over the years. Keep up the good work.

Trying to attach one of my recent projects, an F/A-18 horizontal stab shadow box. This is the a/c my current squadron flies.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lights

Harddog,
I went to the local Home Depot in the lighting section and picked up a 5-pack of puck lights for about 34 bucks.

Thanks for all the comments. This project actually started out with me helping another guy build this box. 1800 bucks later and a basement shop with the basic tools, I finished the project. I've always wanted to have a wood shop since Jr high shop class, but never thought about spending the money on it. My wife pushed me into buying a shop to get a hobby. She said since I quit smoking, we can afford it....:laughing: I guess she doesn't know the cost of "accessories". I've actually given up my Friday night beer night to hang out in my shop and doodle around with scrap wood. :eek: I guess I'm addicted. I just did my first box joints the other day.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
stick, thanks for the lighting info
sounds like you caught the fever pretty bad. Out of the limited tools I have purchased, I find the biscuit cutter to be my best tool behind my table saw and planer/sander. I use the biscuits with a band clamp. These joints are strong on the miters. I crank the band clamp as hard as I can. I think putting the pressure on the joints with glue in them, along with the biscuit swelling, makes one hell of a great joint. I have a frame of a box that I rejected that I have thrown on the floor multiple times and the joints don't budge. Maybe someday I will post some of my projects. Currently working on a shadow box made of cedar shaped like a home plate. My buddy has an opening day ticket and certificate to put for the stl cardinals, 2006. champs.
currently hoping cleveland or colorado.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Original designer

Well, it's my first project. There were bumps, bruises, and a few minor cuts and scrapes along the way, but here it is. This is for a MSgt that is going to retire next week from my office. She gave me a picture of what she wanted and I made it. Not the best, not the worse, and certainly a bigger project than I thought, but I'm happy with it and the lessons I learned!!!
It Saddens me that someone would copy my work without talking to me first. That design is copyright protected under law. You can find it on my site at www.basementwoodworks.com. People send me picture of other peoples work too, but I try to redesign it to make it my own as best as I can. This picture looks as if you used my own plans. I do this for a living since I retired from the Navy and it makes me angry that someone stole my own design. I am the original designer of this case and my shadow box for my retirement was the first of its kind. You may contact me via my website if you wish.

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
i think it is awsome:thumbsup::thumbsup:
i have never thought of there being a problem with looking at a picture of something others have made and copying it
is there a problem wit that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Original designer

Well it's called Copywrite Law. That's where the problem is. If he, at the very least, had called me and asked about it I may have said it was ok, but to just go ahead and do it, that's where I have the problem. I know several people in the business, and I have a gentlemans agreement with a few, that we will NOT copy each others work without consulting the other. We also refer customers to each other too, It's the honorable thing to do.

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
well i think it is no problem to see pics and copy those.do you have a copywrite on this thing?
i understand the gentlemans agreement you have with your friends but this is the www and i feel like its ok
just my opinion
btw i would love it if someone copied something i made
your work is awesome

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Stick: that display case reinvented the phrase "Now that be cool".

·
Saw Dust Club Member
461 Posts
Wipe your tears

Well it's called Copywrite Law. That's where the problem is. If he, at the very least, had called me and asked about it I may have said it was ok, but to just go ahead and do it, that's where I have the problem. I know several people in the business, and I have a gentlemans agreement with a few, that we will NOT copy each others work without consulting the other. We also refer customers to each other too, It's the honorable thing to do.
I looked up your site, request to see your permission slip from Harley Davidson for replicating their symbol. But I guess that is something totally different.....

I think you need to relax. If he would have made this for sell or for his own personal gain you might have a complaint. Otherwise you should be flattered that he liked what you did and replicated. Actually if you would have read his article, you would have read that the recipient asked him to make it.

I have made tons of shadow boxes, eventually I will make one or have already made one that resembles what someone else has made. I am also confident many have made boxes exactly like mine. I completely understand you do this for a living and I do not; however, something is to be said about having some class and just except something and move on.

His post was from 2007 so what did you expect to accomplish by commenting in 2011. This website is a great venue for folks to share thoughts, ideas and help each other. I am not the moderator but feel compelled to share my thoughts on your poor taste of posting such complaints and welcome you to keep such thoughts to yourself in the future. My thoughts are just as immature as yours but I couldn't refrain for speaking up for a fellow service member trying to help out his fellow brother or sister in creating a valuable treasure to reflect upon for many years to come.

You are probably retired military as well but you lost something obviously along the way while creating your business empire. I ask that you step back and ask yourself if profit drives what you do or the pleasure of giving fellow service members something to display their most valuable treasures in....you posting suggests profit drives you.

Sorry to all the rest of the group for my lack of maturity, just spun me up reading.

-Al

1 - 20 of 30 Posts